Logo

1984 Johnson 115 running prob

"Hi, I am sure this question h

"Hi, I am sure this question has come up many times but it is hard to look at over 44000 posts to find the answer. I have a 115 Johnson Md#J115TLCRD that will not run at full throttle under load unless I hit the primer/choke then it will only run about 3800 Rpm. I have cleaned and rebuilt both carbs, fresh hi-test gas, cleaned and replaced 2 stroke oil, new fuel supply hose, replaced the impeller, t-stats and spark plugs. I have also checked compression, they were with in 10 lbs of each other. I have also checked all the hoses for the fuel and oil system, there were no leaks or bad hoses. When I had it out in the water under load it will idle and run fine all day long under 2000 Rpm but when I go to wide open it feels like it bogs down and when I hit the primer it takes off and planes out. It will rev up fine in the water under no load. I have also tried to squeeze the gas bulb but it was firm and didn't have any effect on the way it runs. So what do I check now?"

"Test your Stator , Looks like

"Test your Stator , Looks like its shot, its an expensive part but you can easily test it."

"You go back to the carbs and

"You go back to the carbs and check out what You missed. Either an intermediate channel/jet or a main jet is not operating properly. Pull the plugs, and You may find which cyl is out. That will give You an idea where to search."

"All the spark plugs looked no

"All the spark plugs looked normal and both carbs were completely dismantled and soaked over night. I had also checked the stator and it checked out ok. The only thing I haven't checked out is the VRO pump, the thing runs great at low rpms."

"As it picks up with activatio

"As it picks up with activation of the primer, the fuel supply is probably ok. For some reason the engine seems to need the boost of the primer to get going, and that indicates an intermediate speed problem. It might even be as simple as leaking gaskets for the silencer box?"

"Pull the carbs again and be s

"Pull the carbs again and be sure to unscrew, clean and double check both main jets in each carb. Use compressed air and blow through ALL channels. Check that there are no restrictions in fuel line and manifold from pump.
Re-install and check that the valve plates open fully and synch according to book."

"Andrew M,
Just wondering wha

"Andrew M,
Just wondering what makes you think the stator is bad here? What part of his problem description leads you to the stator?
Thanks...."

"Doug,
Unlike some bloggers

"Doug,
Unlike some bloggers on here who gives no credit to the guy who started the post, I do,
Is GAS the only thing an outboard needs when under load ? ( pressed my primer bulb for three months) whilst pros were guessing!
I am not the pro here , can you first please rule out the Stator?
I hate to mentioned it over and over again, everyone overlooks the stator an its importance in testing, been an expensive part no way justifies ruling it out in troubleshooting problem.
At the end of this issue I hope Jeff will post an update with exactly what the resolution was, So I can learn and the rest of us who knows it all and the reason I mentioned the Stator is from experience and spending 8 plus months swapping parts until I picked up an Evinrude manual and read it and fixed my own engine !"

"i got a spare i will sell che

"i got a spare i will sell cheap,came off my 87
90 hp e90tlcur. 173-3672
Replaces OEM #0582023
OMC Stator 173-3672
Replaces: 173-3104, 581830,581865, 581867, 581987,582016, 582023, 582404,582497, 582867, 583023,583104, 583671, 583672 .shoot me a mail if you like.will sell for 75 bo"

Back