Logo

Distributor conversion kit merc 350

79century

"hi,

i have a 79' cent

"hi,

i have a 79' century with merc 260 (350cu.). it has a 2 bbl. rochester carb. the dist. is the old mallory yl. type w/ points. i'm about to buy the conversion kit. (pentronix). i also need a dist. cap. i looked on ebay and found a electronic dist. complete. it is advertised a mercruiser electronic dist. for merc. 350. i can see a label on it. it says (sae j1171 marine). that's all i know about it. i can get it for about a hundred bucks, which is cheaper that the conv. kit. my question is, if i go with this will my coil work, or will it need changing. and is some type of ignition module needed to use with this new distributor.

my current dist. ain't in bad shape. other than the fact that it's points, and needs a new cap. but it's old, and i feel it's outdated. what are your thoughts??"

"So,whats wrong with points?

"So,whats wrong with points?
The dist will drop in but you will need a ign amplifier with it, coil should be changed to electronic coil because of the ohm`s difference and you may need to remove the resistance wire to supply a full 12V to the system."

"Jeremiah, you should be able

"Jeremiah, you should be able to get a pertronix kit for $80 the J1171 Marine number is just a certification number and not a part number.

You may need a different coil, and the ignition modules are usually mounted outside the distributor. You will also need a new harness or make changes to yours."

"i've just heard alot of p

"i've just heard alot of people say that changing from points to electronic is about the best upgrade you can do for the money. i've heard that not only is it maint. free vs. the points, which are frequently needing a tweek, but that it will actually make the engine run/idle much smoother.
do you disagree? do you feel i should leave the points system in place?

also, after reading your responses, it sounds as if the conversion kit is the way to go. instead of getting into changing other components. but, if i go with the conversion kit, will my existing coil work, or will i still need to change it, and add a ignition amplifier, and will i need to remove the resistance wire?"

"thanks guy, i will call them

"thanks guy, i will call them when business hrs. roll back around.

i'm gonna go ahead and install the conversion. i'm also gonna install the coil that the kit recomends.

i have completely gone through the distributor(except bearings) and cleaned it up and put it back together. it'd old. but i've got it looking like new again. the advance weights and thier springs look o.k.. one thing i noticed is that one of the weight springs (there are 2) has a longer relaxed position than the other. this was the intention. in other words it is not longer due to stretch or wear. the springs look to be in fine shape. but with that one being a bit longer, when assembled, if i spin the gear by hand, i can tell the longer one is sloppy. i have to assume that this has something to do with the shorter spring advancing the timing at one stage of centrifugal force, while the longer one kindof advances the timing at a higher rpm. is this correct? and does it matter what side i put the short and long springs on? the weights are identical."

im an old school points and co

im an old school points and condencer guy like bt doc but i have to break down and say that the pertronics kit i installed this year has to be one of the better things i have done for my boat i no longer have to look in the glovebox and make sure i have my spare points and condencer in there lol and have noticed a change in fuel usage aswell

according to the rotation of y

according to the rotation of your motor the longer spring goes on the side of the dist that the assy turns the shorter spring is the return spring and should be somewhat stiffer than the advancing spring the short one keeps it from relaxing back to fast.so all depends on engine a dist rotation when you spin the dist the direction its gonna spin in the motor watch the ears and see wich way they open and thats where you want the long spring i hope this helps its one of those things thats easier to show than explain

Back