Logo

AQ131D volvo penta still wonbt start

springs and weights are intact

springs and weights are intact and operational. So I don't think that is the source of the backfire. Any other ideas? Dennis

"Is the accelerator pump squir

"Is the accelerator pump squirting all the way from the moment you move the throttle lever to accelerate, or does it take some time to squirt? If the answer is the latter, that could be the source of your problem."

"Will have to check that today

"Will have to check that today. I put the timing light on the boat while under load and it was at 0, so I adjusted it to 6 degrees while at the dock. Is this correct or should it be set while not under load? Boat seemed to run a little better, but still had the back fire at at about 2000 rpm. Once I throttled past that point, picked up fine. Could an exhaust leak cause the back fire? I noticed what sounded like maybe some air from the manifold, could't tell as now everything I hear now makes me worry. Thanks. Dennis"

"The spark advance is affected

"The spark advance is affected by engine RPM, not by load. According to the operator's manual, the ignition timing should be 6º BTDC at idle (850 RPM) and 32º-36º BTDC at 4400 RPM. And yes, you normally check that with the engine out of gear.

If you are concerned about an intake valve not closing properly or sticking, you can always conduct a leak down test to find out if that is the case."

"Question concerning the dist.

"Question concerning the dist. cap and rotor. Can I use a dist. cap and rotor from the volvo car or is this special to the marine engine? Here is a little update. Ran out of gas about 2 miles from shore, had to get a tow, my guage was off a little (ha) had the wife panicing. Well the good samaritian pulled me in and all was good at the dock when I refilled. So this weekend I took the boat out and on my way out someone asked for my help towing a jet ski that broke down. As I headed to repay the good deed, I quickly ran aground sucking lots of beach sand into the motor, stranding me in the channel and I couldn't help the guy. To make it worse, it was pouring down rain, the boat was too hot to run. so anchored in the channel I removed the raw water pump and flushed water through the strainer. Used my 24lb thrust battery motor to continue fishing (ha, yeah in the rain) and made it about 1 mile to the dock on two batteries pushing a 20 ft boat. funny. Anyway took the coolant tank off and flushed out all the sand until there was no more (did this from both ends) and then flushed all the water tubes and bilge. Any other concerns I should be looking for. I also flushed out the impeller and pump. this led to the cap developing moisture from the hot water boiling over when I removed the strainer."

"1) If you find a cap and

"1) If you find a cap and rotor that fit your distributor, I don't see a problem.

2) Don't forget to flush the exhaust manifold.

3) I think you (or your boat) may be jinxed and need a good exorcism.
wink.gif
"

Back