Logo

Stainless steel bolts for exhaust amp intake

marky1212

Would it be OK to use stainles

Would it be OK to use stainless steel bolts for the exhaust manifold to head and intake manifold? Are they as strong as grade5? Thanks

there are various grades of st

there are various grades of stainless but the short answer is no. stainless fasterners won't give you a reliable high clamp load in hi temp circumstance. on header type or cast iron manifolds i use grage 8 w/ grade 8 lock washers. the load requirements don't call for gr 8 but the heat treat properties allow the preload to tolerate the heat stress and they stay tight. on al manifolds i do the same but use a hardened flat washer as well.

"Thanks Steve, I guess thats w

"Thanks Steve, I guess thats why Mercruiser dont use them. Just thought it would be better to use stainless for corrosion puposes. Probably will go with grade 8"

"Mark Virbick
My son-in-law h

"Mark Virbick
My son-in-law had a V10 ford that was breaking exhaust manifold bolts as it was quite a problem with those engines. Ford had a fix, where they supplied SS bolts. apparently the little stretch they had in them kept them from breaking with the temperature fluctuations.
Bert"

Back