Logo

Engine wonbt run back fires and stalls Help

sebas54

"Hi, I have a 1987 gm 4.3l mer

"Hi, I have a 1987 gm 4.3l merc. alpha 1.

I have installed a intake manifold, distributor, and fuel pump.

I just finished placing the distributor at TDC and tried to start it. It started but it was rough, then it back fired and stalled. I rechecked everything and it all seems to be where it should. I retried to start it and the same thing happenes.

What is going on? Could the timing be offto cause this? Could the fuel pump cause this?

Please help!!!!"

"Thanks, I got her running by

"Thanks, I got her running by turning the dist.

I was adjusting just a half inch at a time, now this time I turned it about 1/3 and she started right up. Thanks again to all!!!

I will time the egine with the gun once it get darker out

Thanks."

"Sebas.
It sounds to me like

"Sebas.
It sounds to me like your distributor is not in right. You shouldn't have to turn it that far.
For some very detailed info on the proper install, scroll down the Merc. Forums until you find a posting by GUY GASPER entitled Manual Downloads. Follow about 4 links and all of the Merc manuals will come up. Pick the one that corresponds to you motor and year, click on it and viola, you know have the service manual for your motor. In section 3, youll find "distributor information for disturbed engines". Follow all of the procedures listed and your distributor will be in correctly. On some engines it is possible to have the distributor installation out by 60 degrees (one cylinder) and still get the engine to start (by LARGE movements of the distributor), but they will never time properly.
Good luck."

"Thanks Bob. I think the reas

"Thanks Bob. I think the reason the distributor turn so much because I was turning it in the opposite direction. It is now lined up with spark plug 1 and I was able to time today 8BTDC.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it."

"good work sebas<[img]"http://

"good work sebas
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back