Logo

Are blockoff plates needed in addition to the blockoff gaskets

jtoma878

Contributing Member
"I'm running a fresh water

"I'm running a fresh water cooled system which will be cooling my manifolds & riser blocks as well. Obviously I have to use block off gaskets between the blocks & risers, but should I use a stainless block off plate sandwiched between two gaskets or is the one gasket itself sufficient?

Thanks!"

"Since the FWC system runs und

"Since the FWC system runs under pressure and the raw water one really does not, I would not trust the integrity of the FWC to a gasket. Gaskets are just that, gaskets. They are intended to compensate for irregularities between mating surface, not to provide a physical barrier between two systems at different pressures."

"My Mercruiser 470 had overhea

"My Mercruiser 470 had overheated so I commenced looking for the fault. I removed and cleaned out the heat exchanger and the exhaust elbow. I noted the ports in the exhaust elbow were blocked solid with rust so I cleaned them out. I reassembled the elbow to the exhaust manifold with a new gasket and filled the coolant (or antifreeze)tank with new coolant, only to notice it escaping from the leg. I removed the exhaust elbow and worked out that the coolant was escaping through the ports in the exhaust elbow and out the raw water discharge point (via the exhaust).
Is there supposed to be a sealing plate between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust elbow to prevent coolant going into the elbow?
There was none on mine and I presume the rust buildup was preventing the coolant loss. Possibly the plate had not been reinstalled by a previous owner?
Could someone please assist me with this problem?"

Back