Logo

Are Mercury 98 outboards good and dependable motors

somers12

"I have a chance to buy a 9.8

"I have a chance to buy a 9.8 for a kicker for my sailboat. I don't see much about them on this forum. I'll find out the year, if it has an electrical start,price, or for that matter, if it even runs tomorrow. Can you tell me if the motor is worth my consideration.

Thanks... Steve"

The motor itself should be fin

The motor itself should be fine..rope pulling would be cumbersome on a sailboat..I would want electric start..also extra long leg...don't think you will get it with this model but power tilt would be handy to for same reason as rope starting

"I'm with Rollie on this o

"I'm with Rollie on this one. The 9.8 (which was called the model 110 earlier in it's production run) was a decent motor.

Personally I would opt for a slightly newer (1986-on) 9.9. It had a better designed powerhead and ALL parts are still totally available and supported by Merc at present.

The 9.9 also came in a "sail" version (and so did the 6 and 8 horse sister motors). Might take some looking, but they are out there..."

"I took your advise and decide

"I took your advise and decided to wait for an electrical start, long leg. I already have a Nissan 9.9, electric start, that has some major issues with its dependability, and am looking to replace the beast because of poor service in my area.

Thanks for your advise... Steve"

Back