Logo

Temp gauge reading

draven620

Regular Contributor
Well took my 1985 searay with

Well took my 1985 searay with a 140 hp out for her maiden voyage today and when she warmed up she was sitting between 150 and 170 on the temp gauge is that normal.She ran great and didnt leak so i think the bugs are all worked i just wasnt sure where is normal for temp.

normal really depends on what

normal really depends on what size thermostat it has those numbers seem to be good to me. does she go to 150/170 and stay there under all conditions or does it rise under load? i have a mcm470 and thats where mine stays

just at slow cruising it is go

just at slow cruising it is goes to about 145 when she is under load at higher rpms that is when it goes to about 170 if it was going to overheat the needle would be buried correct.

Michael:

Merc. PN: 59078 i

Michael:

Merc. PN: 59078 is a 140 deg. T'stat. That is what your 140 engine came with. The MCM470 uses a 160 deg. T'stat. "just at slow cruising it is goes to about 145" That is the normal operating temp. range for the 140 engine. You need to inspect your exhaust and cooling systems for a buildup of rust and mineral deposits.

I don't think your impeller is the problem since it cools correctly at cruising RPMs. Make sure none of the cooling hoses are collapsing at high RPMs. Remove the circulating water pump and inspect the openings to the block and pump. Make sure the pump is working and the belt is tight.

Next I would remove the cooling water hoses and look for deposits at the connecting points of the hoses that narrow the openings even just a little bit. The exhaust manifold probably needs to be removed and taken to a radiator shop for cleaning.

Back