Logo

Motor Preparation for Long Term Storage

coaster

Regular Contributor
"I have a spare six cyl fwc ma

"I have a spare six cyl fwc marine motor, not in boat and wishing to put it in long term storage. It is presently complete and in a running condition. Would appreciate any thoughts on what to do."

"Change the oil. Pull the plu

"Change the oil. Pull the plugs, squirt lots of oil in each cylinder while wheeling it over, then seal up the intake and exhaust openings tightly with duct tape.

Jeff

PS: A good idea is to turn the flywheel a bit every month or so. They do that with machinery in storage."

"Jeff, I was also planning to

"Jeff, I was also planning to make a metal plate to cover the in/out openings. Gasket used as the template. This would compress the duck tape hence acting as a gasket, could also use the original gasket. Removal of the thermostat which will allow water mixed with anti freeze to remain in water pump, all hoses to be extended to the approx height of surge tank. I do not have to winterize. Remove all oil. New oil filter. The new oil was going to be machine oil. Planning to remove the dip stick and insert a clear plastic hose to reach the height above the tappit cover. Then fill it up with machine oil, right to the top of the tappit cover.the valves would allow the oil to enter the cylinder and will weep through the rings. The oil would progressively find it own level. The clear plastic hose would act as a oil level indicator. Turning the motor would be by manual application of a wrench. Do you think i could develop oil lock? Like hydro lock! Keep in mind oil will be present both under and above the pistons. The pressure generated above the piston has no release point. The pressure in the crank region is released into the tappit region and via the dip stick holder. I can remove the porcelain from the s/plugs and fashon hoses to dump into the tappit cover. How does all of this sound? Machine oil is not expensive. This motor could be stored for years. Frederick"

"Frederick,

If you're g

"Frederick,

If you're going to consider all that, maybe you can consider this as well. Find a plastic tote with a tight lid large enough to contain your engine then crate/palletize it for strength. Remove plugs and openings then immerse engine into machine oil. This should keep it from corroding from the inside out and vice-versa.

my $0.02, keep the change.

,Noel."

"Boy, are you gonna have a hel

"Boy, are you gonna have a hell of a time getting it to run again with all that oil seeping through into--everywhere!

Good plan, though.

Jeff"

Back