Logo

Bilge pump

"From what i read, 2 pumps at

"From what i read, 2 pumps at 2500gph, for boats 16-20ft. i'm putting the biggest one i can fit in my 22ftr, after finding out that the guy who owned my boat before me, only had a 800gph in it. Float switch stuck down because of some grease and oil and had a bellow start leaking one day out 3 miles. Talk about having the s**t scared out of ya. MAKE SURE TO ALWAYS CHECK YOUR BILGE PUMP, BEFORE YOU HEAD OUT!!!!"

"dont blame the owner for only

"dont blame the owner for only having a 800gph, that's the way low end boat manufacturers sell the boats with, ( low end, anything less than 500k ) :)

I've seen many boats under 25' with only 1 usless 800gph pump"

"This is not normally the sect

"This is not normally the section I visit, but glad i DID,LOOKS LIKE i GOT A COUPLE CHANGES TO MAKE"

"Your right. Shouldn't poi

"Your right. Shouldn't point finger at guy, but beings the boat is a 1980, i figured he must have replaced pump at least once. I'm goinf for the 2000, or the 3700 rule pump. May be overkill, but after watching that 800 pump out the couple inches of water, it was like watching paint dry."

so if i get a 3700 it pulls 15

so if i get a 3700 it pulls 15.5 amps the fuse in the switch block is 15 amps would i need to upgrade it to a 20 or 30 or is 15 ok

atleast a 20 it will pop that

atleast a 20 it will pop that 15 just trying to run. a 20 will be great may start with 20 and carry a 25 with ya

"Bilge pump should be wired DI

"Bilge pump should be wired DIRECTLY to the battery with its own fuse. You don't want to loose your bilge pump because some other piece of electronics took the fuse out. On my boat the "auto" switch lead is wired to the battery via its own fuse, but the manual on feature (since that switch is at the helm) is fused by the main fuse.

My 23 ft I/O cuddy has two pumps, one at 800 gph that sits in the bottom of the bilge. This is to get rain and wash down water out. The second pump is a 3000+ GPH that is an inch higher in the bilge... for those days you don't want to think about. Since I have two batteries, the smaller pump is wired to my #2 battery which is a start/deep cycle battery. The big pump is wired to the #1 battery, a start cycle only battery. I check the big pump at least once a month. The float switch is external and sits in a cage to keep crap away from it.

Also re: "of some grease and oil " You need to keep that bilge cleaner. If you are leaking oil, install a "bilge sock". Use a good HD marine biodegradeable detergent to clean the bilge. Preferrably do it on the hard and try to control where the dirty water goes.

"

Back