Logo

Motor tops out at 2000 RPMs

cutta32

"I have a 1993 Johnson/Tracker

"I have a 1993 Johnson/Tracker 60HP 2 stroke motor. When I fist launch my boat and head to a fish spot the motor runs fine and I can go about 35MPH. However when I try and run to another spot on the lake the motor will top out at about 2000RPMs at full throttle, allowing me to only go about 10MPH. It seems to only happen after the motor is warmed up. Also, when I push the choke in the motor revs up past 2000RPMs for a brief second. It sounds like it is short of fuel and dies sometimes when I try increase speed. I was thinking it had something to do with my fuel/air mixture, but I wasn’t sure. Any help to diagnose and/or fix the problem would be great. Thanks Everyone.

Chris"

Try pumping the fuel primer bu

Try pumping the fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump). Does this make a difference?

A increase in rpms when activating the choke (fuel Primer Solenoid) indicates a lack of fuel.

"Thanks. I havent tried pumpin

"Thanks. I havent tried pumping it manually yet, but I will try that next time I run it. Is there a way to test the fuel primer solenoid, other than replacing it?"

"Joe,
What is the best way t

"Joe,
What is the best way to investigate the lack of fuel issue noted in my first post?

Thanks
Chris"

"Just a couple extra ideas...

"Just a couple extra ideas... Have you checked the vent on the tank? Maybe clogged or not opening properly? Try pumping fuel bulb as suggested, but also note if it's "sucked in" as well... The fact that you start off normal to me sounds like either you're first fishing hole is within distance of a "pressurized / primed" fuel system (and hence the fuel pump is not working properly) or it's sucked a vacuum on the tank by that point... ???"

Back