Logo

Aq 120 A

speedbum

"I have a 69 deck boat with a

"I have a 69 deck boat with a 120/200 in it i have a operators manual that list the engine as a aq120A ,first whats the difference between the A and B engines , Second the engine is locked up and parts seem to be hard to find for a 120A engine is there an option of switching to a different engine , Third pics i can find of different engines 120B and so on show a front engine mount this one don't have one and looks like there never has been one , is this normal for this engine combo"

"William, I may not the best o

"William, I may not the best one to recommend which model engine, but IMO, Yes..... you would be better off going with one of the OHC 4 cylinder Volvo Penta engines.... not necessarily for power, but for parts availability, better design, etc.

El Pescador would be a good one to ask this of.

It sounds as though your engine is a cantilver hung engine (no front mounts).
If your transom is good, you may want to hang the OHC engine as well.

."

"Now the question is, is there

"Now the question is, is there a OHC engine that will bolt up to my drive unit with out a ton of mods I am an auto mechanic so I am not afraid to get dirty"

"You may bolt up any of the VP

"You may bolt up any of the VP OHC engines without more problems than that You have to make the forward engine supports. (I would have stayed away from the 171) I would not keep on 'hanging' them in transom only, no matter which one You choose."

"Yes! Again... El P can/will c

"Yes! Again... El P can/will chime in here.... but most any of the OHC 4's will work with the same Flywheel Cover (bell housing in the automotive world).

Your exhaust Down Tube will change.... and to the best of my knowledge, the later one will fit the transom shield.

The drive coupler on the flywheel may change..... It depends on which one is there now. The AQ 120 may not use the B/W splines. No huge deal!

The drive can be re-used, although the 200 would not be a first choice!
The Ratio is the same 2.15:1 over-all gear ratio for either engine.

With your skills, this is very doable!
."

"Quote: [b]"I have a '

"Quote: "I have a '69 deck boat" un-quote!
Morten.... It's a deck boat!
He ain't a gonna be a break'n any a dem dar wake board records wit dat dar boat!

The Cantilever Engine support is OK so long as the transom core is good.
If not, then fix it or add stringer engine mount towers and front supports!

For this old boat.... it's probably not worth the effort. Don't know!"

Even if he was moving around i

Even if he was moving around in a 100Ft ferro cement barge with railroad tracks as reinforcement I will still recommend him to add the forward engine mounts!

"well thanks i can make front

"well thanks i can make front mounts that is not a problem there , the boat actually is in good shape and the transom is good and strong , and yeah speed is not a concern just a reliable running engine is all i am concerned about , i got the boat for next to nothing , if i had parts rebuilding the one thats in it would not be a problem for me, now just which engine to go with and find is my next choice , some not to exspensive and can get parts for"

"William,

If I recall corre

"William,

If I recall correctly, the AQ120A is a B18 Volvo OHV engine, but the bellhousing bolt pattern should be the same as their predecessors with OHC. Being that the case, you should be able to replace it with any B21, B23 or B230 engines, namely: AQ 120B, AQ125A, AQ125B, AQ131A-B-C-D, AQ140A, AQ151. You will need to change your current exhaust pipe (the one that is bolted to the transom shield) for another one meant for the above engines in either a 270, 275 or 280 outdrives. To make it easy to understand, you need part 22 on the following link (and also 1 pcs O-ring part 21 and 4 pcs o-ring part 23)
http://www.volvopentastore.com/CONNECTING_COMPONENTS_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_280/dm/cart_i d.033702254--session_id.285428138--store_id.366--view_id.328479

As you may see, the exhaust pipe is quite pricy (over one thousand bucks), but you should be able to find a cheaper used one at eBay or at a VP boneyard. Maybe you could even get it as part of a complete package when you buy a "new to you" engine. Here is a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-AQ-series-exhaust-yoke_W0QQcmdZViewIt emQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1240Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293 Q3a7Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem290312218462QQitemZ290312218 462QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

I would strongly recommend that you install front mounts with your new-to-you engine."

"'the AQ120A is a B18 Volv

"'the AQ120A is a B18 Volvo OHV engine,'.
B19 if remembering correct. Never think Volvo made that version (OHC) in a 1800cc engine. In the 142/144 series they appeared as 17, 19, 21 and later as 23 and 25. The main reason for the different cc's was tax reasons in different countries that taxed cars mainly at engine displacement. Poland and Italy to mention two of them."

"I'm not sure that Volvo h

"I'm not sure that Volvo has ever had a 1300 engine hooked to any drive. They have had the B16 and B18 in addition to those mentioned above. However I have come across Ford Cortina engines (1200/1500) hooked to AQ drives, but not under Volvo Penta name."

"Morten, please feel free to c

"Morten, please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong, but I am 100% sure that the B18&B20 are OHV engines, while the B19, B21, B23 and B230 were OHC engines. The AQ120A is an OHV engine with 1.78 liters capacity, which clearly makes it a B18. Meanwhile, the AQ120B is an OHC engine (B21).

William, you can definitely install an AQ130/270, but my suggestion is not to go that way. Many parts are no longer available for the AQ130 and many others are ultra-expensive. From the perspective of getting a newer type of engine with parts more readily available and (comparatively speaking) not so expensive, I personally would go for an OHC engine. But of course, the final decision is yours."

"i had found one for 75.00 on

"i had found one for 75.00 on ebay i will look for a newer OHC engine , now I had found some gaskets ,bearing and pistons for a B18B engine 1967 car how much is marine usable , i know i have a million questions and I apperciate all the help"

"Sorry, El, got a bit mixed up

"Sorry, El, got a bit mixed up. I have never ran into a AQ120A (B18) as I do not think they were common in my area. During that time there were a lot of 'funny' combination depending on local markets. Hi comp (normal) and low comp that could run on 50/50 kerosene/gas, and they all ended up with different AQ/MB nominations. This partly due to fuel tax situations."

ok i know this a long shot but

ok i know this a long shot but is there a way to convert this combo over to using a 2.3l ford engine

"No, sorry. At least, not with

"No, sorry. At least, not with readily available parts or components. Even if there was a way of fitting something like a Borg Wagner adapter, the exhaust in the Ford is port side, while on the Volvo is on the starboard side.

Theoretically, it would not be impossible, but it would require a lot of customization/fabrication which would cost you a fortune, and the final result would not be guaranteed (you would end having your own prototype)."

"well i was curious i work for

"well i was curious i work for ford so i could get parts for one them easier , and i believe the aq120a and the 2.3 have the exhaust on the starboard side of the engines don't they , i could be wrong , but hey it was worth asking about thanks for all you guys help"

"My apologies, it seems like t

"My apologies, it seems like the Ford 2.3 actually has the exhaust on starbord side (I was thinking on the Chevy 3 liter when I posted). Nevertheless, you still would have to match a number of components and I don't believe there is a conversion kit (at least, I never heard of one).

Again, nothing is impossible if you are prepared to fabricate, modify, adapt, put lots of time and effort, and (of course) spend BIG bucks in the process.
biggrin.gif
"

"One thing that the AQ series

"One thing that the AQ series Volvo Penta has to offer that makes this doable is the B/W pattern PDS adapter.
I suppose that if a Borg Warner Flywheel Cover could be found for this Ford engine, the rest would be relatively simple.
But.... and here's the BUT... you now have an off-bread engine/drive combo. Do you really want this?
In all honesty, it would be cost effective to stay with what V/P did originally.

A few years back I helped a man convert a BBF 460 King Cobra boat to a BBF 460 with an AQ series DP-C drive... the conversion that was supposed to be impossible to do (so some said)!

Well, with the aid of the Borg Warner patter F/C and the V/P short PDS adapter, this became possible and was done to this boat.
The owner is now enjoying his BBF w/ the advantages of the DP-C drive as apposed to the DP S "Gimbal" style drive.

So, anything is possible!
Orville and Wilbur would not have made history Dec. 17, 1903 had it not been so!
."

"Hi I am back again can you gu

"Hi I am back again can you guys tell me why there is a chrysler valve cover on this engine , and the reason I thought about a ford 2.3 is cause I work for ford and can get parts cheap , just keeping alll options open right now"

"Many of the AQ series Volvo P

"Many of the AQ series Volvo Penta I/O's can be found with an array of engines from back then....... they were not necessarily all Volvos. I.E., Chrysler engines, small block Chevrolet V-8, small block Ford V-8, the marine version of the Volvo auto engines, and so on.
All of these worked because one company, or another, tooled up and manufactured parts to make these engines adaptable to a Marine application...... and this means the Borg Warner pattern equipment and the Volvo PDS adapter, and so on!

William, I've been doing this type of mechanical work since 1965 or so....... and I am all for creativeness and experimentation and thinking Out Side of the BOX (so to speak) ......... but nothing in this smells good to me given that there is no real gain in the large scope of things!

By the time you find a B/W adapter, Ford 2.3 F/C w/ B/W pattern, an exhaust system that will work, a flywheel that is laid out for a B/W drive coupler, you could be finished with this installation using the Volvo engine.

I'd strongly recommend sticking with a tried/proven system and make life easy for yourself.

However, if the project is what you are really after, and you love this type of challenge, then by all means, Go for it! "

"William, many of the 60s and

"William, many of the 60s and up to mid 70s VP drives (200, 250, perhaps even some 270) sold in North America had a Chrysler Marine tag in the transom shield. And if the outdrive had a 4 cylinder engine attached, you can rest assured that not one single component was Chrysler and all the package components were Volvo Penta. The bellhousing for the 4 cylinder engines did not have the Borg Warner adaptor.

If you want to go ahead with your project, I can only say (again) you better have lots of patience and deep pockets. Personally, I would not go that way, but since we cannot discourage you I guess you will eventually find out why the conversion you are planning is not a good idea (albeit at a high financial cost). Good luck."

"Yes, agreed... V/P 4 bangers

"Yes, agreed... V/P 4 bangers did not use the adapter! The SB Ford V-8's, Chrysler V-8's, some early SBC's did for sure, and possibly a few others that I am not remembering since my mind is going bad!

William, I will offer to you, that if you do this, I'd still be willing to offer what help I can re; parts interchangability and such........ but will warn you..... I may use a little sarcasm!
uhoh.gif

LOL

."

"hey guys I appreciate all the

"hey guys I appreciate all the input I can get , I just like to throw ideas out there , I will probley stick with the volvo engine , I don't know alot about boats but you don't learn if you don't ask questions , you guys are awsome and know your stuff thank you all"

Back