Logo

Wires for LM318

loid58

Contributing Member
"Hi all, have a question. I

"Hi all, have a question. I need to replace the spark plug wires on my LM318. Its a 72 or 73 model year, and was wondering what wires would work on it. I went to the R&S strauss by me but the dimwits that work there had no idea what I was talking about because they needed a certain car year and make to put into their computer. So if any one could suggest what cars wires would fit this motor, I would be grateful. Thanks"

"I used an Accel kit for a big

"I used an Accel kit for a big block on mine, now have the wires running along side the engine instead of between the valve covers & exhaust manifolds,looks a lot neater,easier to get at as well"

"That's how I ran mine...r

"That's how I ran mine...rather than pinch them in between the manifold, let them hang down and plug them in from underneath but you will need longer wires for a big block. Otherwise there are marine wires available online made for Chrysler SB's."

"For which big block? The peo

"For which big block? The people at the auto parts store wouldn't know a big block from a baby's block, I would have to give them a make and year for a car. How about a 72 or 73 grand fury with a 383 or 440? would those fit? Thanks, I wish I had a good old neighborhood auto parts store that had knowledgeable people, instead of 18 yr old kids at the counter."

I used big block Chevy (45

I used big block Chevy (454) wires on mine. The 440 wires had the wrong ends.

Jeff

I don't think plug wires h

I don't think plug wires have to be marine specific anyway so standard wires for that motor should be fine as long as the boots fit down there.

"We have folks go either way w

"We have folks go either way when buying the wires, it really is up top the customer. If you can't find a set we have them available.

Dave"

"Thanks all, I'll try the

"Thanks all, I'll try the 454 chevy wires. I think the longer ones will be easier than threading them between the manifolds and heads."

"Russell:

I'd definitel

"Russell:

I'd definitely go with a wiring kit IF you can find one with angled spark plug boots, with the other ends compatible with the Chrysler distributor cap--they all LOOK like they interchange, but they aren't.

The beauty of a wiring kit is that YOU can make each wire precisely the length it should be. All you need is a wire stripper, a crimping tool, and some patience. Do one wire at a time and all will be well.

On mine, some of the wires are way too long--sloppy, but still effective.

Jeff"

"Thats a good idea Jeff, I&#3

"Thats a good idea Jeff, I've worked with those assemble it yourself wire kits before. There are a couple of high performance auto parts shops in my area, I'll give that a try"

"If you have a spare, take you

"If you have a spare, take your distributor cap with you to make sure the ends are compatible. Lacking that, take a wire along.

Jeff"

Back