Logo

Timeing thoughts

smchaplin

Regular Contributor
well guys im haveing trouble k

well guys im haveing trouble keeping my 84 mcm 470 in time. i changed it over to pertronics ignition this winter. and have had it out twice this year and both times it was hard to start at the end of the day usaly about a 4 or 5 hour outing . what im finding both times is the timing is off by 3 or 4 degrees ive reset it both times and its runs and starts fine. what im wondering is should i tackle the distributor for rebuild or look at the timing chain for slop? its sorta got me stumped IMO i would think that if it was dist getting wore then i couldnt get the timing set and if the chain was sloppy i could see it in the timing light . meaning the timing would bounce around. any ideas?

Is the dist. lock down bolt lo

Is the dist. lock down bolt loose when you reset the timing? To check the chain for slop; disconnect the battery and remove the dist. cap. Turn the crankshaft by hand and see if the rotor immediately moves when you turn the crank. Rock the crank a litle back-n-forth and see if the rotor responds the same.

the lockdown bolt is tight guy

the lockdown bolt is tight guy when i reset the timing that was the first thing i thought of when it done it the second time i imediatly checked the bolt. now with the cap off can move the crank like a 1/4 to 3/8 inch either way b4 the rotor moves

"Sounds like a loose/worn chai

"Sounds like a loose/worn chain.
sad.gif
"

Back