Logo

1992 90 hp johnson setting timing

clayvogt

hello i read somewhere that y

hello i read somewhere that you can set your timing with out starting your outboard by using a spark tester and your throttle at wide open and turning the engine over what is this procedure and what kind of spark tester do you use i have never seen one thank you

"Yes you set your timing witho

"Yes you set your timing without starting your motor. However, you need a timing light then follow the link & sync procedure in your manual. This is important as it must be done in the steps they give to do it right."

"Clay, you're speaking of

"Clay, you're speaking of a timing procedure that I've listed many times as follows.

However, in order to use it on that engine, you must disable the "QuickStart" feature that automatically and electronically advances the spark when cranking the engine.

(Timing At Cranking Speed 4°)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: If your engine has the "Fast Start" feature", you must disconnect/eliminate that feature in order to use the following method. The "Fast Start" automatically advances the spark electronically when the engine first starts, dropping it to normal when the engine reaches a certain temperture.

The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running at near full throttle as follows.

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary).

Rig a spark tester and have the gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for.

I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28°, set the timing at 24°. The reasoning for the 4° difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4°.

If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4° which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

Be sure to use your own engines spark advance settings, not the one I picked out of the air here in my notes.

Someone here will no doubt jump in to advise you how to do that (Disable Quickstart).

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back