Logo

Over due update

"well after two years of work,

"well after two years of work,countless hours of research on this site and some good advise from you guys I am finally starting to have some fun.I have had the boat out about eight times now and it runs really good.I get a little more confident in it every time I take it out.Just a little background since its been a while.The boat is a 1980 chris craft 310.when i bought it it was in the water where it had been for about five years with the owner living out of state.Needless to say the boat was neglected.the starboard engine was locked upand the port engine was on its last leg.I bought a pair of used 454 crusaders to replace the small blocks.I took all the external parts off,cleaned everything up real good,painted all the parts and reassembled everything with stainless bolts.As far as the boat I stripped everything out of the bilge including gas tanks so i could give it a good cleaning and a coat of paint.went back together with all new through hulls,gas tanks,sea strainers and just about anything else you could think of.I think i may have been able to reuse some hose clamps thats about it everthing else is new or good used replacements.Still a lot of work to do but now when i get tired of working on it i can fire it up and take a boat ride. anyway thanks to all who gave me advise directly and indirectly.Will be changing props soon so im sure Ill be posting some questions."

The Maryland boating season is

The Maryland boating season is already underway!

Jeff

PS: E-mail me your photos and I'll post them for al to enjoy.

"here she is coming out of the

"here she is coming out of the water for the first time in five years

252721.jpg
here she is coming out of the water for the first time in five years

"wow!Great job with that engin

"wow!Great job with that engine room, it would scare me to death!! Congratulations on a job well done"

Thanks for the kudos guys.It w

Thanks for the kudos guys.It was overwhelming at times.Just took it one job at a time and kept at it.The little woman took all the pics and is also real good help.will post more pics this evening.Have a nice day

"Here is the rig i used to mov

"Here is the rig i used to move the flybridge forward to put the engines in.All i did was remove all the screws that attatched the flybridge to the aluminum framework that houses the windows,disconnected the wires,control cables and hydraulic steering lines.I put my eight foot step ladder on the back deck to use as a fulcrum for my 2x4 lever.Had my wife pull down on the other end of the lever and i started cutting the glue with a hacksaw blade.When i finally got all the glue cut we lifted it up enough to get a couple of 2x4 blocks on each side.Next i made the sawhorses that the front of the flybridge was gonna rest on once it was slid forward.once i was ready to move it i got a big wooden dowel and placed it in between the framework and the flybridge as close to center as i could get it,took the blocks out and just rolled it forward till it was clear.

252795.jpg
"

"Since i was gonna be putting

"Since i was gonna be putting a lot of weight on a small area with my wooden dowel i put a little extra bracing in the framework.

252801.jpg
"

"...".All i did was remove

"...".All i did was remove all the screws that attatched the flybridge to the aluminum framework that houses the windows,disconnected the wires,control cables and hydraulic steering lines."

Minor thing like that! I know a few people who've done that on Marinettes, and it's a complex job.

Motors look great, too.

Jeff"

"Re reading that,I made it sou

"Re reading that,I made it sound easy.It was anything but.Probably spent a whole weekend just getting the thing cut loose.I dont know what kind of glue they used but it did its job well.I glued it back down with 5200 and if its half as good as that stuff its more than fine. Jeff,How is the neck doing? good i hope."

"jody: how much hose is in the

"jody: how much hose is in the inboard legs of that exhust, between the elbow outlet and the 45's? (can't tell from the picture of the twins.)"

"Jody:

Thanks for rememberi

"Jody:

Thanks for remembering--it's been months since that subject came up. My doctor said I'm a model patient! My fingertip numbness--that "Might never go away, or take over a year to improve," was mostly gone in a few weeks! (I might have to do commercials for this guy!)

Jeff"

"Jeff
Glad to hear you ar

"Jeff
Glad to hear you are doing better than expected and hope the trend continues.

Mark
I dont remember exactly how long those hoses ended up,less than a foot for sure,probably 8 or 10 inches.I can measure them for you this weekend if you need me to."

"This was a good day.Even thou

"This was a good day.Even though it wasnt under her own power we were back on our way to the marina after being on the hill for nine months.

252908.jpg
"

"I asked about the length beca

"I asked about the length because, when I redid mine, I was told that they prefer 24" of 'straight run' before any angles or curves in the hose. The best i could do was 19". Running for up to 3 hours, in the ocean, you pay attention to details like that.

If that's the way they were in from the factory and nothing got hot, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If it is an unknown, I'd keep an eye on it...sure wouldn't want to mess up all that effort you expended."

"Mark,
That never even cr

"Mark,
That never even crossed my mind,maybe i should have done a little more research.I will definantly keep an eye on it.Thanks for the heads up."

"Great Work...It reminds me of

"Great Work...It reminds me of those days...AND YOU DID it in 9 months? This must have been a daily thing...I know in 9 months what I was able to do. It took me almost 1 month to take off the exhaust manifolds...great work , again.."

"Thanks Al, I had good motivat

"Thanks Al, I had good motivation,it was costing me 600 a month to have it on the hill,I also had the boat fever pretty bad so i was pretty focused.And remember when i left the boatyard I still didnt have any wiring done,the fuel system still had to be plumbed and many other things were still left to do.I basically just got all the holes plugged so it wouldnt sink so i could work on it in the water once I got it back to its slip where the rent was much cheaper.fortunantly for me the three hour tow back to my marina didnt do anything for my boat fever so i kept plugging away at it and in the next month or so I had em both running.Not too long after that we had a direct hit from hurricane Ike.My boat was one of five that didnt end up on its side in the middle of the road.The water got so high that night that the floating docks floated over the tops of the pylons and all the boats still tied up in their slips floated till the whole mess ran aground on the road leading to the marina.There was a row of pretty big pine trees along the road that also helped keep the boats from going any further.Some how all the boats that were behind me in the marina ended up to the side of my boat.When i got down there the next day the water was still high enough that i could get my boat out.You cant imagine how happy i was.I had already wrote the boat off,I figured all the hard work and money i spent was gonna be destroyed.To get down there and find out that it wasnt was...well i had tears in my eyes I'll tell you that.Anyway i got down there found my boat untied it from its moorings,still in its slip fired it up,backed it out and went out and tied it up to a couple pylons and waited for a ride to the bank cause i didnt want to swim in that nasty water.In an hour or so the coast guard came and we waved em down and they gave me and my uncle a ride.Ill post some pics.Sorry for the long drawn out story."

Back