Logo

454 water temp sender thread size

rickr

Does anyone know the thread si

Does anyone know the thread size for a 1988 454 Crusader water temp sender. Need to replace due to new gauges that use the merc standard.

"If you are replacing the old

"If you are replacing the old gauge with a new replacement, the sender should work just fine. Merc never did anything gauge-wise out of the ordinary"

"Actually they did. The gauges

"Actually they did. The gauges I put in are Livorsi. They use a 433/17 ohm sender which is what merc uses. The gauges being replaced were VDO. You purchased their gauges for either 240/33 ohm senders which is US Range standard. That is what is currently on my Crusaders, or you could get VDO's senders that are at 10/180 Ohm.

Seeing that Livorsi made their gauges to match Mercs 433/17 ohm senders I need to change the senders.

I just need to know the thread size. Water temp senders from Livorsi come in 3 different sizes, 1/8, 3/8, and 1/2. Just need to know what Crusader used."

"In a pinch, you could order t

"In a pinch, you could order the 1/8 NPT size and get a few reduction bushings at the hardware store to adapt it as necessary.

Jeff"

"VDO has a whole selection of

"VDO has a whole selection of sender (& gauge)ranges. must be newer stuff, none of the older merc stuff has anything other than the 240/33. is the 433/17 coupled with the new 'digital' interfaces used? Another opportunity for me to get smarter.

The manifold spot takes the 1/2 npt and most of the thermo housings are 3/8 npt. To be safe, get the 3/8 and 'bush it', if needed, as Jeff suggests."

I just replaced both the high

I just replaced both the high temp. alarm sender and the water temperature sender in the intake manifold. Both were 1/2" NPT on a 1984 Crusader 454. I would avoid the bushing because the sender uses the threaded connection for its ground and two threaded connections with pipe sealent/teflon tape is worse than one both electrically and mechanically.

"Thanks Thomas - Reagrding the

"Thanks Thomas - Reagrding the Merc 433/17 ohm senders those are used on their inboard performance engines. So gauge manufactures such as Livorsi, Gaffrig and Auto meter will often match Mercs temp senders. I liked the larger size and look of the Livorsi gauges so that's why I put those in when I rebuilt my panels. I just now have to replace the senders to get the correct sweep and I'll be good to go."

Back