but unit will not separate ,loose everywhere but
around the stud,why will unit not come loose at
stud,is it froze to the unit or am i doing something wrong?"

"did you get the one under the

"did you get the one under the trim tab
252524.jpg
"

"my lower unit does not look l

"my lower unit does not look like the picture but i have taken the nut off the stud but the unit acts like something is holding it on that stud
allbolts and nut is off. is it possible that the stud is frozen to the unit, it probably has never been off before. thanks"

"my motor is a 1985 johnson 25

"my motor is a 1985 johnson 25 hp model #j25tecos
have all bolts loose and nut off,lower unit will not separate, why? thanks"

"I'd guess on that motor t

"I'd guess on that motor the linkage is under the carbs...

*edit* sorry, was looking at pic not stated motor... I THINK that one has the linkage under the water inlet screens... Remove the screens and the shift linkage is under there... Two half-inch wrenches... Unscrew the linkage and then shift into forward... Should be able to remove the plastic retainer and top coupler section. (make sure you remove the top section or else the shift linkage won't slide through the water pump."

"There is an excellent site:

"There is an excellent site:
http://epc.brp.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx%3fbrands%3dej%26lang%3dE&brands=ej&lang=E&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
or
shop.evinrude.com
That has free spare part lists and exploded diagrams of the most.
Quite a nice place to visit before making guesses that then turns out to be totally wrong.
The shift shaft coupling is between the water intake screens in the lower unit.
Take down the screens, unscrew the counter nuts, push UP the upper nut (66) and remove the plastic keeper (71), ten You may get down the gear case.
252666.gif
"

"Sometimes it is nescessary to

"Sometimes it is nescessary to scrape the paint
off the rod before loosening the coupler nuts.
Slide the top nut up the shaft a bit,then pry
the little black plastic sleeve off-it is split
on one side. Good luck."

thanks big jack and the other

thanks big jack and the other guys that helped me solve the problem. the stud was frozen to unit
a little heat and a hole lot of praying and prizing and hammering i got the lower unit separated thanks and God bless all

Back