Logo

Have to switch from mechanical to electric fuel pump Need helpadvice

jtoma878

Contributing Member
"So I finally bought a long bl

"So I finally bought a long block (5.7, carb) to repower my Bayliner, but after the purchase realized that my original setup has a mechanical fuel pump, and the new block does not have the hole drilled for the mechanical one.

From what I understand, this is not the end of the world. I simply purchase an electronic fuel pump, mount it, connect the lines, wire it to oil pressure switch, and I'm good to go.... Am I off?

My question is, which fuel pump to buy? Will I need a low pressure pump being that it is a carb setup? What psi exactly am I looking for?

Any and all specific input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!"

"Hey Joe, all you need is a lo

"Hey Joe, all you need is a low pressure 12V pump for a carb. small block. 3 to 5 PSI is fine. Go to E-Bay and search (marine electric fuel pump) you will see some their for about $40.00 plus shipping. Try to wire it into your ignition switch circuit so that as soon as you turn the switch on, the fuel pump also runs."

"Mark-

Thank you for the re

"Mark-

Thank you for the response. I have seen those units and I was hoping thats what I needed.

I was told to wire it to the oil pressure switch as a safety, that way if the motor suddenly stops running, the fuel pump cuts off to.

Also, I could use some suggestions on where to mount this pump. Should it be in some sort of housing, or enclosure?"

"Mark, thats a no-no
You will

"Mark, thats a no-no
You will need a pressure switch plumbed into the oil gallery,it`s a 3 pole switch, Normally open, Normally Closed, Common. a additional wire from the small lug on the starters solenoid to the normally closed and the wire from the ing system to the normally open, the common goes to the + side of the pump
The Theory: When in cranking mode the pump is powered by the solenoid circuit (NC),once you have oil pressure the switch operates (NO) providing power to the pump thru the ign circuit..This way you cannot inadvertantly have the fuel pump running uncontrolled."

"Ya, the Bt Doctur is right. I

"Ya, the Bt Doctur is right. I just knew it had to go through the ignition system somehow, not just to the oil pressure switch. My pump is mounted on the starboard side high in the bilge (motor compartment) area not to far from where original mechanical pump was located. It has no enclosure"

"on the 4.3: V6's Carb eng

"on the 4.3: V6's Carb engines the elec fuel pump is mounted on the front RH side of the engine, vertically."

"that would be the port side r

"that would be the port side right brian
biggrin.gif
just kidding"

"lol. good times<[img]"http://

"lol. good times
thumbs_up.gif
suks im nursing a sunburn from fri i was on the water allday and forgot to put my bimi back in the boat from winter"

""Actually, that would be

""Actually, that would be starboard facing the front of the boat" is how I know it on 90's Merc V6's SB side of the engine weaved in with the water circ pump hose.

Is this a new word ? "theousands"

"Solid state reliability: Proven on theousands of original equipment appli"

Doesn't mention "marine" nor Gasoline.}

Application: The highest quality and most dependable lift pump and priming pump for diesel injection systems, oem for most diesel engines and construction equipment."

"After trying many electric pu

"After trying many electric pumps for my generator the biggest thing you need to watch out for is lift. Many of these small pumps can't over come a 1/4 full tank or a check valve in line. After trying three different pumps for my generator I came across this carter electric marine rated. Puts out 4 psi on the button and will lift up and over my 30" gas tank, pass a check valve, through the water separator. Here is one on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARINE-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-CARTER-P4389-UNIVERSAL- 72gph_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a1Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a 1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a25QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem25041027 3231QQitemZ250410273231QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear"

Sorry to hear about your sunbu

Sorry to hear about your sunburn so early in the season. wish I had one. a season that is.

"Carter have been making pumps

"Carter have been making pumps for a long time, that's who makes the mechanical pumps most of us use. I owned a pump like that once for a car i built, never used it, didn't need it."

"ugh...so I want a min of 4 ps

"ugh...so I want a min of 4 psi or 3? Also, must metal lines be used in a marine enviornment or would rubber lines do?"

"That Carter is whats on my bo

"That Carter is whats on my boat. Was trying to save ya some money by reccomending the other one since I have seen that style on other boats. Amazed the Carter is still made in USA. Thought everything came out of China
lol.gif
. Rubber marine grade line will be OK."

Make sure the pump is marine r

Make sure the pump is marine rated....otherwise (BOOM!!) and no insurance policy payoff.

BTW... most USCG approved pumps seem to have threaded gas line fittings.

Back