Logo

Engine Temp

ruckus3313

Regular Contributor
with a laser temp gauge where

with a laser temp gauge where on your engine is the best spot to get the most accurate engine temp??right at the spark plugs on the head?? or somewhere else?? My temp gauge on the boat is inoperative and i have a laser temp gauge and would want to know if that would work??

"I'd be repairing the helm

"I'd be repairing the helm instrument and sender..... which ever needs attention.
You will want that "At-A-Glance" ability to monitor engine temp that a hand held will not give you.

Basically, we want to monitor coolant temp while it's just leaving the engine block. So I'd aim your laser at/near the thermostat housing since this is where the Coolant is being held back until the stat says "OK to move on".

Also, you can check your exhaust manifolds with the laser gun.
Just note that you will get high readings at any exhaust ports or actual spark plugs."

i think i am just gonna start

i think i am just gonna start by disconnecting the wire to the water temp sensor ground it and turn on the ignition real quick. if the needles tacks straight up then the wiring and gauge are good and the sensor is bad. am i not correct in doing this?

Back