Outstanding Contributor
"Hello folks,
Here we go ag

"Hello folks,
Here we go again,rebuilt my beautiful merc800
lol.gif
so
happy.gif
, when she fired up. Took her on the water today, never took of,the second I put her in fwd, full stop.
Back in tank thinking it was a timing problem,I rechecked the timing,it was by the book but still missing.reset using the 3 dots as setting mark,not the straight line as stated in the manual for the 1969 merc800.It now idles at 800rpm,200rpm above the stated 600rpm.
So any ideas on what I did wrong? How do I get the rpms down to what they recommended? I have played about with the idle screws but I just haventaclue
biggrin.gif
All help and advice as always is very much appreciated.Thank you."

"Usually not pulling gas at id

"Usually not pulling gas at idle does that. Dumb ? ,but you did clean the carbs right? You must have it retarded, than.

You are setting the timing at cranking speed? Do the sync and link excatly as they say.

If this contuines, than find the missing cylinders by pulling plug wires off.

**** Also know this, behind the intake transfer cover are the idle bleed restrictors. Did they get put back in?***"

"Hi 'Bandit, Thanks for th

"Hi 'Bandit, Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I'm setting the timing at cranking speed,yep I did the carbs right I think!! I rebuilt them and soaked the metal bits in carb cleaner + blew trough air.
"the idle bleed restrictors".They were gone so I got new, they were a SOB to get in. Are they supposed to sit proud of the surface or go right in?
I have a funny feeling I know the answer to this one
blush.gif
I'm now thinking I've made a mess of the restrictors.
sad.gif
How do I get these three little SOB's in? Again thanks for all of the advice and help"

"
I asuume you rebuild

"
I asuume you rebuild the motor for this reason. (No gas pull at idle.) No air leaks into the crankase.
The 3 dots setting mark is for the timing belt IIRC. The dist. cog has a mark under the belt holder cover plate. Not the one that is on it. The pointer itself is set with a dial indicator first.

Dont forget 25:1 mix for breakin, too.
happy.gif
"

"Hi 'Bandit I was away on

"Hi 'Bandit I was away on my spring break
sun.gif
.Well three restrictors,it says two on any of the parts sites I have been on,but there are three predrilled holes,1>2>3>4, later a real CMFU. And if I can find replacements I'll need all the ideas I can get.
angry.gif
.Reason for rebuild was not making 4800-5300 rpm no matter what I tried.Reduced size of prop and by my calculations I needed to go down to 11 or 12 pitch to get this.All prop calculators told me a 17-19 pitch would do the job. I know these things are not always accurate but even adding in different varitiants it still give 17-19. I was using a tach for thunderbolt ignitions.
There is a merc tech who give me great help and on occasion used parts reasonably, suggested I may be using a tach only for 6cyl mercs as the rpm showing was 3000rpm on the 17" prop. Which was a little late as I had her stripped.There is no switch on the tacho to change the setting.The guy also told me that what I was getting was top for the type of boat I have my beautiful merc800
lol.gif
hanging on.So I have come to the conclusion that I have rebuilt this motor for no reason at all
blush.gif
but I have enjoyed,most of the time ,working on it.
smile.gif
I have also figured out the timing was retarded,after you suggested it, nothing like a brand spanking timing lite to tell me that.I did have one but having ten thumbs, I fried it.Don't ask.
rain.gif
I have trawled TMD and there is a dissusion about these restrictors and there is one suggestion I,m thinking about, threading the drains,drilling a s/s grub screw and loctite it in.Am I nuts? I think my ever patient wife thinks I am and is just humoring me until a place becomes vaccent in the local mental institution
rofl.gif
"

The tach you should use nowada

The tach you should use nowadays connects to the charger rectifier either yellow connection. The setting is 6P. Grub screw is not a bad idea.

"Hey 'Bandit ,are you read

"Hey 'Bandit ,are you reading my mind? I have just got a new tach and needed to know the setting.
I have a friend who is going to drill them for me.My only fear is if metal comes loose what is the possible damage.I'll give it a shot
happy.gif
Thank you for taking the time and the advice as always is very much appreciated."

Back