Logo

Volvo AQ120 B and Volvo automobile engine parts exchange

dbh

"I just purchase an old Sunlin

"I just purchase an old Sunliner 17 foot open bow boat with a Volvo Penta AQ 120B gas engine to take my grand kids fishing. The engine runs but I want to change the fuel pump, fresh water pump, plugs, points, distributor cap, wires and alternator to ensure I don't have any problems when the kids and I are on the lake.

This is my first boat and when I went to the local boat shops to price the parts I almost fell over when the estimate was done. I had no idea that the parts for this motor were so expensive.

When I was speaking to one of the boat shop he slipped up and told me most of the parts are the same that were used on the Volvo automobile engines. When I asked him which engine they would interchange with he realized what he had said and would not provide me the information.

I was hoping one of you old hands might know which year Volvo car and engine model would interchange parts with the AQ 120 B Volvo marine engine.

Thanks in advance"

"The fuel pump and alternator

"The fuel pump and alternator must be for marine applications. Unfortunately, a car fresh water pump will not fit your model of engine. On the bright side, those elements seldom fail. So, if it was my boat, I wouldn't be putting money replacing them as a preventive measure unless they were toasted. In any case, you can get the fuel pump from the Sierra catalog (part 18-7286) at a much better price than from Volvo Penta.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7286&returntopa ge=sierra_marine/sierra00811.htm

Ignition wires, cap, spark plugs, etc, you can buy aftermarket from the Sierra catalog, and some automotive sets will also work on your engine.

Regarding points and condenser, consider upgrading to a Pertronix electronic ignition kit (kit 2842). It will be one of the best investments you can make for your boat.

Your engine is a B21 block, which came installed in Volvo 242 cars from 1976 to 1982. However, remember there are many differences (camshaft, alternator, carb, fuel pump, distributor, starter, etc) but the engine block, cank, pistons, head, etc are the same.

Hope this helps."

"Yes... Ditto our good Mr. &#3

"Yes... Ditto our good Mr. "El P" above my post here.

The marina person may have slipped....., that is for sure!! But he did you a service by not further suggesting this to you!
Some automotive parts have no place in a marine environment. Fuel pump is one of them!

No offense intended at all here....., but you appear to be new at boat ownership..... I'd suggest educating yourself as much as possible to keep you and your family safe.
It is a wonderful thing to do safely, and using the correct components is part of that.

."

"Guys:

Thanks for the quick

"Guys:

Thanks for the quick reply. You both have provided me with great information. I really want to thank you both for the warning about the use of aotomobil engine parts This is my first boat and I can see I have a lot of learning to do.. The very last thing I want to do is compromise anyones' safety. I will heed your warnings and stay away from the auto parts store. I will also seek out some of the old salts around here ans see if they will act as my mentor as I get a handle on the boating world.

Thanks again, you guys are great!!!"

Back