Logo

130hp

"This should be plenty of engi

"This should be plenty of engine for your boat, providing your not trying to set any speed records with it. I had a simalar boat with a 150 on it, and it would make about 28 mph in fair waters."

"Just my two cents. No disresp

"Just my two cents. No disrespect, Michael, on your opinion but... if you got 28 mph w/a 150 on fair water a 130 4 stroke would give John 28mph at best and quite possibly less. To me that would be unacceptable. On a 22' boat I would probably want nothing less than a 175. If one gets caught in foul weather or rough seas you'd want enough motor to push the boat through. If 28mph was your cruise speed with say 35 or so at WOT then maybe. Or if he's running on a small lake, it might be OK. But if he's runnning in salt or a large body of water I'd suggest a little bit more power.
I've a 23' Pro-Line w/ a 225h.p. on a bracket and I don't feel over powered. W/ 4 or more foot seas, fighting a strong tide in an inlet or even a heavy chop w/ strong winds on the bay, I can regulate my speed & trim to get me through without getting beat-up.
Better to have more and not always need it than to have too little and regret it.
Anyway, like I said, just my two cents."

"Thanks ipmarine I fish the

"Thanks ipmarine I fish the lowwer columbia alot and I want to be able to run and control when i need it, don't want to be underpowered. Boat I was looking at did not work out anyway."

"It really has more to do with

"It really has more to do with how much weight you are pushing.

I have an (almost) 25 foot, 8 1/2 wide, mahogany ply over oak framed walk around cuddy.

Fully rigged she weighs in at less than 1800 pounds (about equal to a well kitted 17 foot aluminum runabout weight wise) and my 140 Ev pushes her along quite nicely at just over the 30 mph mark.

Now try to push a 2500-3000 pound "glass" boat with that and it would be gasping.

Good rule of thumb - rig the boat with a motor that is 80% of the max horsepower rating and you will not be disappointed with the performance.

"Under horse" it and you will always be disappointed...."

Back