Logo

Can older fuel damage your honda

pueter66

"Hi Guys, I have some old fuel

"Hi Guys, I have some old fuel in my boat approx 3 months old. will it hurt my motor if i use it.
Can i use an octane booster. I have a honda 175.
It is a real pain to drain the fuel out of the under floor tanks. cheers pete"

"Tough call. That gas is proba

"Tough call. That gas is probably in pretty bad shape unless you live in an arid area. If you have a good external fuel-water seperator, I would install a new filter and also clean out the fuel water seperator on the engine very well. Then run the engine on that old gas for a couple of hours, then do a thorough inspection of both. If you detect and significant amount of water or sludge, then drain the tank."

"Fuel that is 3 mths old &

"Fuel that is 3 mths old & not treated with a stabilizer can cause "pinging" & piston damage, so would recommend octane booster."

"Old fuel means lower octane a

"Old fuel means lower octane and possible contamination due to the condensation that occurs with time. If you are going to run the fuel, I would top off the tank with fresh, higher octane fuel and add a product like Seafoam to help condition the fuel. Make sure you have a good water separating fuel filter. Only run the motor at a lower speed and listen closely for engine ping. Always top off your fuel tank after each use, to keep the fuel from deteriorating as quickly."

Nick Nicholas
Hi Mate I will

Nick Nicholas
Hi Mate I will look into the Seafoam product and hopefully we have it here in Australia.
Top off the tank do you meen refill it immediatly?
I do that.
I will drain half the fuel off and run it in something else and top up tank with high octane fuel. Cheers Pete

"G'day Pete. Mate, ive loo

"G'day Pete. Mate, ive looked ( breifly ) for seafoam and cant find it here, Castrol make a product called Fuel Doctor, I use it on every service i do, mostly coz of extremlly poor quality of fuel we have up here, and the fact that the humidity kills fuel very rapidly. If your gonna leave the boat unused for over 2 months, only use premium ulp as it has about twice the *shelf life *
of regular unleaded. I must rebuild 3-4 sets of carbies every week, and all due to fuel contamination/quality.. also drain the carbs ( via the bowl drain screws) after use, this will prevent the fuel remaining in the bowls from going off and leaving a nasty residue, which fresh fuel will NOT remove. Good luck ."

"Thanks Jon I will look for th

"Thanks Jon I will look for those bowl drain screws. The castrol product what does it actualy do or prevent? I live in Central queensland so we get a fair bit of humidity, not like Cairns or Darwin but still considerable through summer.
Cheers Pete"

Back