Logo

Honda 904 overheat indicator light

rojam

"According to the owners manua

"According to the owners manual, "the overheat indicator light will come on when there is a cooling system problem. When the light comes on the engine speed will gradually decrease".

When this happens, the manual says to "put the gearshift lever in neutral and check to see if water is flowing out of the cooling system indicator. If water is flowing out of the cooling system indicator, continue idling for 30 seconds. If the overheat warning system stops after 30 seconds, the system is normal".

My problem: The overheat indicator light on my 1997 90/4 has been coming on intermittantly over the past few trips. Sometimes once a trip somtimes twice and sometimes not at all. When it happens I do exactly what the owners manual says; gearshift in neutral, check for water flow (yes).} After 30 seconds or so the light goes off and all is fine.

Now for the question. When it happens this often is the system still normal, as the manual says, or is it an indication of an upcoming problem??

Thanks, Ron"

"Nick, thanks for the response

"Nick, thanks for the response. I'm working in that direction, starting with the thermostate, and seeing how it goes."

"Update: Nick, I work at a lar

"Update: Nick, I work at a large hospital where the maintance engineer also a boat owner. He said the same as you, temperature sensor. Now, to see if I can handle it or I need a mechanic.
Thanks again."

"Ron,
The temp sensor is easy

"Ron,
The temp sensor is easy to replace. Check the boats.net website for your engine, and it will show you where it is.
Nick"

Back