Logo

Seized TAMD60B

happy_hagar

My port engine seized immediat

My port engine seized immediately after a cold start. Fired up and died immediately. I have pulled the injectors and find no evidence of any water in the cylinders. No evidence of a dropped valve. I can move the ring gear with a bar may 3/4 - 1". I also removed the crank drive pully from the front end in order to lever a bar on the 4 crank pulley mounting bolts. They bolts were bending too much so I stopped.

This engine had been not been started or used for maybe three or four months before this incident.

Any suggestions before I start a complete teardown?

Gear issue? Sure sounds like a

Gear issue? Sure sounds like a dropped valve or valve head explosion. Pull heads first?

Thanks to Dick for the suggest

Thanks to Dick for the suggestion about the gear.
Had to lift the engine because of clearance issues with the stuffing box. Finally got my gantry staged today with some help. The gear is off and behold!!! - the engine is free and turning. We no longer have a Volvo problem - now it's a Twin Disc 502 issue. Will pull the oil pump off the tranny over the weekend and see if the gear will turn. Will fix the stuffing box clearance issue at the next haulout.

Back