Logo

Temperature gauge for a BF225

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
Has anyone out there retrofitt

Has anyone out there retrofitted a real coolant temperature gauge to a BF225? The only thing Honda seems to provide is the overheat light and alarm. I would like to know the actual coolant temperature while running. Any ideas or suggestions?

"Buy an electrical temp gauge,

"Buy an electrical temp gauge, then fabricate an interference-fit holder to wrap around the sensor part of the sender from 1.5 - 2.0 mm thick copper strip. Drill a mounting hole in the copper holder & attach under a head bolt nearest the thermostat.
Note- fabricate the copper holder so the sender is as close to the head bolt as possible to eliminate any heat dissipation.
The advantage of this setup is that it will give you REAL engine METAL temp, not coolant temp.
Note-A temp sender inserted in an overheated engine which has no coolant due to pump failure or blockage,etc will not register on the gauge."

"Bob,

That is a GREAT idea.

"Bob,

That is a GREAT idea. Thanks. It will take me a month or two to get it done, but I'll let you know how it works. I'll try to post pictures of the final set up."

"W D here's a pic. Not a g

"W D here's a pic. Not a good one & not on a 225, but you get the idea.
252453.jpg
"

"Bob - got your excellent pict

"Bob - got your excellent picture. That's perfect. "A picture IS worth a 1,000 words." Thanks.

Do you have a preferred supplier for the electrical temperature sensor and gauge?

Is there any limit of the run length from the sensor to the gauge outside of wire size? I plan to run it about 25 feet to my main cabin console using #12 or #14 wire - do you think that will work okay}?"

Back