Logo

454 average life in hours

"Over 2,000 easy IF maintained

"Over 2,000 easy IF maintained properly and IF not cruised at ridiculously high rpms. I've heard people running those engines at 4,000 rpms plus all the way down the river. Those are gotta be oil burners after 1,000 ours of usage.

Jeff"

"ditto; Also, you might plan

"ditto; Also, you might plan on a top end overhaul every 1000 hours. A lot of operation at or below 1000 rpm is bad on the top end, too."

Interesting. What makes <=

Interesting. What makes <=1000 RPM bad?

I also heard recently that risers should be replaced every few years. True?

David

I have a 1993 - 39 foot Carver

I have a 1993 - 39 foot Carver - 454 twin crusader - counter rotating motors. The right hand motor is destroyed - blew up - after 746 hours.

I have been unable to get a reman with the right had cam - what is happening and what will this cost? I am living in Seattle.

"The cam/lifter/rocker areas d

"The cam/lifter/rocker areas do not get good oil flow at/ below 1000rpm, causing higher than typical cam wear. And, quite counterintuitively, the cam/lifter loads are higher there than at higher rpms. This is why cam break-in is done at 1900rpm, or so."

"I rebuilt my right hand motor

"I rebuilt my right hand motor in 2000 for ~$2000 in parts and machine shop labor. What does "blow up" mean? The cam, cam drive and rear seal is different, but not a big deal for a rebuilder to deal with."

"Make sure it is a right hand

"Make sure it is a right hand engine. Check the engine serial number plate (Stamped RH or LH) and verify with the gear's nomenclature. On mine, only the cam and the drive (gears vs chain) were different."

Back