Logo

Honda BF30 hard start when cold

guideya

"i have a low hours honda BF-3

"i have a low hours honda BF-30 on my patio boat.

when the eingine is cold. it takes forever to get started. it will turn over, and act like its going to start, but wont. usually takes 5+ minutes to get it running. once it starts, it runs like brand new.

also, i noticed while you can fill the fuel pumping thru the fuel bulb, the buld doesnt seem to get hard like o my other outboards.

is it possible that maybe it has some sort of air leak in the fuel system or smething, and thats why it isnt firing right up?....

also, it seems like its getting very little charge when the engine is running. i can hook a voltage meter up ( ive got one that plugs in the cigarette lighter) and it only shows a small increase in votage when the engine is brought up from idle.

any help for you experts would be appreciated."

"well, i went out and removed

"well, i went out and removed the tank that was in it ( a molier 22 gallon tank) that someone put on it before i got the boat ( i came with 2 of the red 6 gallon tanks originally)put two of the red tanks on it, changed the hose fitting to the honda fitting that plugs onto my motor,pumped the bulb once and it was hard as a rock ( like i should be)

im wondering if maybe that wasnt the hard starting when cold problem, it wasnt getting enough fuel to start it)

i cant test that theory as i already started the engine awhile ago, s it starts right up. i guess ill have to wait until in the morning after its cooled for awhile and see if that eliminated the problem"

"boy, i sure appreciate all of

"boy, i sure appreciate all of the knowlegable responses ive gotten here.,

thanks for nothing."

"well, im hoping i fixed it no

"well, im hoping i fixed it now, but man, i feel like a blanking idiot. wont know until its stone cold again, but heres the deal.

i spoke to one of the honda outboard mechanics at the local honda marine repair facility. i explained to him what the boat was doing. he asked me if by chance i had been opening the throttle up any when starting the engine. i had not...DUH!.....he said that because my contol box doesnt have the colt start fast idle,i have to crack the throttle open (out of gear of course) about 1/8th for "fast idle". i tried it this morning, and it seemed to start up ok then.....i feel like an idiot

one thing i did find out though is whomever had it before me had removed the mixture screw covers and monkeyed with the screws also, so i checked the mixture screw settings. the darn screws were all cockeyed. one was at like 1 1/2.another at 2 1/2, and the third at like 4. the honda mechanic told me that the screws should be set around 3 turns from the factory or so, so what i did is bottomed out all three screws, turned them out 3 turns, put the water to the motor and started it, and ended up adjusting them all to 3 1/2 turns out. that gave me the smoothest idle. i havent had a chance to run it under load yet, (my sons at school and hes my boat driver when im adjusting under load.......lol) but ill get it out asap; and check it over and report back."

Back