Logo

Lower unit linkage removal 15 HP Mercury

tomcat440

"Hi,

I have a 2000 Mercury

"Hi,

I have a 2000 Mercury 15 HP 2 stroke motor.
I'm trying to remove the lower unit to install a new water pump kit. I have removed the 3 bolts from the lower unit. But I can't figure out whats keeping it from coming off. If its is the throttle linkage. Where do I take it loose at? if not, what can it be?

Thanks,
Jim."

"I don't know about the 15

"I don't know about the 15hp motor, but on my 25hp motor, there is a little clip on the gear change linkage that needs removed before the lower end can be removed,,,,the little clip rotates then slides out and its under the starter motor, if you don't have the starter motor, the clip is on the front left side, when facing the rear to front of the engine,,,hope this helps,,,,,"

It's the shift shaft which

It's the shift shaft which is a single piece that connects up at the powerhead end.

I think I have some pictures that I can dig out and post...

"Ok, found them.

You have t

"Ok, found them.

You have to unhook the shift shaft up under the powerhead to get the lower unit to drop.

The shift shaft is held in place by a small clip. You can remove it with a pair of needle nose pliers (because it's really tight to try and get your fingers in at it).

You unclip it by moving it "up" to unlock it from the cam and when unlocked, pull it back towards you all the way out - that don't make alot of sense (what I explained) but will when you actually get at it.

I will post two picks, the first "where you need to look" and the 2nd "what you will see when you look there"

If you have an electric start model, you have to remove the starter first or you can't get at it...

252247.jpg

252248.jpg
"

I just want to thank you all f

I just want to thank you all for the information that you have posted. I did get my water pump kit installed. I want to give a special thanks to Graham for the pictures that he posted. it was a real breeze after I saw them.

Thanks again!

James.

Back