Logo

Spedometer not working

merc200efi

I have a merc 200 efi on the b

I have a merc 200 efi on the back of my bass boat and the spedometer is not working. I have disconnected the coupler at the top of the gearbox/lower unit and blew air (20 psi) into the hose that goes to the spedometer and the needle registers OK. That tell me there is a blockage below the coupler. I have checked the V notch in the front of the lower unit and it seems to be clear from what I can tell.

Anyone have any idea how to fix the issue without paying to have someone get inside the gearbox/lower unit and look for the obstruction?

Thanks.

"blow through it also, maybe w

"blow through it also, maybe with 50psi and not the 120. There are no moving parts just the v notch and some cheap tubing"

"Thanks JB...I tried that...we

"Thanks JB...I tried that...we will see when I get it on the water if it works now. I did not feel any air coming out of the V notch when I did it, so I think it is still blocked. How far does the tube going into the gearcase/lower unit? Isn't there a 'channel' molded into the skeg/lower unit that the water travels up and eventually reaches the tube and that in turn pushes air thru the tube the speedometer for the reading? I don't want to rupture the tube by blowing many PSI into it."

"load the tube with some penat

"load the tube with some penatrating oil and let it sit, it with air from both sides, the worst that will happen is the tube falls off the nipple in the lower unit. Just got a bug/spider in it."

"JB, are you saying to put pen

"JB, are you saying to put penetrating oil (what kind) into the tube and allow it to sit (how long). Then blast it with air from the notch and the top of the tube?

Is it possible to push a wire down the tube to try to free the obstruction??"

What led you to change the swi

What led you to change the switchbox?

Did you test the stator first? that could be the cause or even possibly a bad stop switch which would have only cost a few bucks...

"Mcv, penetrating oil is just

"Mcv, penetrating oil is just to soften the bug nest or dirt clog a bit, wd-40 would work, it won't hurt anything. Turn the coompressor up a bit and have at it."

Back