Logo

Can anyone help me please

17arrowglassstinger

Contributing Member
"i put my boat in the water to

"i put my boat in the water today and i went to get on the throttle and it wouldnt pass the idle spped i would try to get on it and it would want to die so i was wondering if it could be that the carbs need cleaning cause when i got on the gass i had my friend sprayy some starter fluid in the carbs and i got it going for like 5 min then it did again thanks for any help, matt"

first thing you need to do is

first thing you need to do is stop spraying starting fluid into the carbs......you may have already done some damage.

second thing you need to do is do a compression test and post the results.

and post the eng model #s

how long have you had the boat?

has it sit for any long period?

if your eng is a 2-stroke you need oil in the gas for lubrication.....and starting fluid has none

"the model # is 70esl74m and i

"the model # is 70esl74m and its a 2 stroke and yes i got oil and the right mixture in the gas i dont have the tools or no any1 that can do a compression test it sat for a winter and it was winterized and i sat there and started it and pumped the bulb but it stayed firm b ut why when i sprayed starter fluid in it, it started to work like it should??"

"sounds like you need to clean

"sounds like you need to clean and rebuild the carbs....you have to clean all the orifices manually....heres a link to cleaning the carbs http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

they are simple to take apart just try not to mess with any of the adjustments on the synchronization arms....

compression testers are fairly cheap at the auto parts store.

i bought a dirt bike off a friend one time. he told me it ran with a lil help....yeah while you sprayed starting fluid in the carb. he had run it without gas and melted the piston........it felt like it had compression..untill i put the tester on it.............the reason i told you this is because you can do more than melt pistons using starting fluid on a 2-stroke...i just got lucky and had to spend $250 for bike and another $175 for parts and machine work...and thats 1 cyl.

if you pump the primer bulb and it gets hard (it nwont stay hard while its running) and has no effect on the way it runs you can just about forget about the fuel pump being bad.

do you have a water/fuel separator?

i would alos check the fuel lines for cracks for possible air leaks and check the fule line connectors for bad o rings"

" he had run it without ga

" he had run it without gas and melted the piston...."

i meant to say he ran it without oil in the gas .............and melted the piston and a few other things.....but it would only run with starting fluid.

k yea i try to make the oil ra

k yea i try to make the oil ratio as close as possible to 50 to 1 like the book on my motor tells me to do i only sprayed a little starter fluid in the carbs to get it going but i know that the salt builds up on the jets and clog them up so im goin to take the carbs off and give them a good carefull cleaning

Back