Logo

Starter Location Alternatives

senzbar

I have a Marine Power Engine w

I have a Marine Power Engine with the starter located on the botton of the engine with the starter gear facing aft. It is a real pain to get to and gets wet if the bilge gets sloppy. I notice on my engine that there is an opening on the flywheel housing for a starter to mount above the engine about 1 oclock where the starter gear would face forward. Has any one mounted a starter there and also (since it would need an opposite rotation) know the make and model number?

"Steve, yes it is possible and

"Steve, yes it is possible and a advisable. A standare IB starter will do the trick although without knowing what engine you have it is impossible to give you PN for the starter. Keep in mind you will need to modify some wiring. You may need to know your flywheel information (dia. amt. of teeth) to get the correct one."

Rick thanks for the info. Wher

Rick thanks for the info. Where on the engine would I look for the engine info (for flywheel etc). I know the prop turns left and the engine is the base Marine Power engine (no double belts). What wiring might I need to modify? Longer positive cable I know but what else. I REALLY appreciate the info.

"Just wire lengths may need to

"Just wire lengths may need to be lengthened. Engine info is simple, 350, 454, 502, what vintage, what rotation? Regarding the flywheel, basically, if you can see the flywheel in that hole, you're OK. If you can't, they might be using a smaller flywheel which would explain why they are using a block mounted starter."

Back