Logo

Honda BF 20 Sputters and exhaust smoky when full out

yeuker

"Hi Everyone,

Very new to

"Hi Everyone,

Very new to the forum. I bought an 03 Lund WC14 Deluxe with a Honda BF20 tiller last year and seriously enjoyed a great year of fishing. The motor ran like a top and the boat was rock solid. I put it away over the winter and didn't drain the fuel out of the line or carb. Worse yet, pretty sure I didnt have fuel stabolizer in it. Stored it inside my shed for the winter. Where I live it is very, very cold winters. I realize how bad this is and wont be doing that again. Pretty out of character for me as I usually take great care of my stuff.

I took the motor out today and remounted on my boat. Ran the motor for a bit to heat up, and ran well. Drained and replaced both the engine oil and gear oil. Running in my driveway in a tank or with earmuffs, it seems to run perfect but when I put it full out the exhaust is smoky and the engine sputters. Any idea's? Thanks so much for your help.

Yeuker"

"If that smoke is black, it wo

"If that smoke is black, it would indicate a 'too-rich' fuel mixture, spark plug tips would be black as well.

A careful carburetor cleaning, using alcohol solvent and compressed air should do it, use some monofiliment line through all the ports in throat and body.

Carburetor Cleaner should be used with caution, it will take the skin off your hands and could also damage some of the marine coatings and seals in your carb.

I just have an ancient 10 Hp with one carb, Honda never had a 'Carb-Kit' for it, but a whole brand new Carb from Boats.net was less cost than a Marina would charge just to clean the old one.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/parts.html

The above site also provides zoomable, printable Honda Parts Manual blow-up drawings to help you see what goes where.

A Honda Shop Manual or aftermarket Service Manual would be worth having for engine service & maintenance.

If your smoke is blue and plugs are oily, this would indicate a possible ring or valve guide problem."

"Thanks for the replies fellas

"Thanks for the replies fellas. I probably wont have a chance to look at it for another few days but will post back once I give a few things a try. Here's how I'm going to tackle things. Firstly, clean out the carburetor with Alcohol Solvent (different than carb cleaner right?) and some mono filament line (fishing line?). As a side note, I've also replaced the spark plug and the tip was black.

Thanks for the link to boats.net, I'm positive I'll use it in the future.

As for a service manual, what would you say is my best bet for a newbie mech with a 2003 BF20?"

"Just stumbled on a BF10 manua

"Just stumbled on a BF10 manual service manual a friend gave me last year, that would probably be sufficient I guess eh?"

Back