Logo

Broken old style thermostat housing

jclays

Regular Contributor
"Broke the hose nipple on the

"Broke the hose nipple on the old style 2 piece thermostat housing trying to clean it up and open it. Might as well replace the thermostat and pressure relief valve I thought since I had it out. Had to smack it with a hammer to split it open at the seam. Thermostat fused to the housing and frozen open (lucky for me there) also pressure relief valve just a goob of rusted metal.Bought new 2 piece housing, thermostat and pressure valve. Now the problem. This style housing can be mounted with a gasket to the intake manifold with the appropriate opening (newer old style) or in the case of mine...No opening in the intake manifold. It bolts on to the manifold with spacers and water enters the intake manifold via hoses from the housing to nipples in the intake manifold. The delema. A block off plate is needed to cover up the bottom hole about 1 3/4" that is used in the direct mount application. The block off plate gasket is still available however the block off plate is NOT...On the old thermostat housing someone yearrrrrrrrrrrrrs ago used a brass freeze plug and it has worked. Is this a good option or should I prefab a block off plate using the gasket as a template. Freeze plugs work well in engine blocks. I dont see why it would not work in this application.
Your thoughts please
JIM"

"as long as there's enough

"as long as there's enough smooth 'lip' for the freeze plug to mate with, i'd go that way, with some locktite 271 on the plug. Seems like its much easier than machining a plate."

Back