Logo

Boat Drain plugs

helmut

"I know this is not an engine

"I know this is not an engine question, but you guys have such a vast wealth of knowledge. Should the drain plugs on the bottom of the boat be screwed in from the outside so that the wrench flats are on the outside of the hull or screwed in from inside the hull. I have seen them done both ways and I don’t know which is correct. I have always screwed them in from outside the hull for no reason other than that is the way they were when I got the boat. Doesn’t mean that it was correct. Does it make a difference?
Thanks for your help."

"Hey, I'll tell you what:

"Hey, I'll tell you what: If you're a doofus like me and continually forget to "put the plug in", then inside is the way to go. Knowhatimean!

Jeff"

Jeff: I know what you mean. I

Jeff: I know what you mean. I once forgot to tighten the clamps on 2 1/4 in stuffing box hose. The hose came off in the middle of the lake. The missus was none too happy.

"Most boats that I've seen

"Most boats that I've seen have the plugs in from the outside... except one time in my 18 ft boat many years ago when I launched it and forgot to put the plug in... Generally if its a screw in plug, it goes in from the outside. If its a rubber one with a turn handle or a toggle handle (like a thermos plug), it installs from the inside."

"Robert:

Welcome to a very

"Robert:

Welcome to a very large club. My brother used to forget the plug every spring, then wade into the water to correct his oops!

Jeff"

"I've always put mine in f

"I've always put mine in from the inside. Never tried it from the outside. It's 3/4" with a 4" long T handle. I think I'm doing it right, seems to me it would sure pick up a lot of weeds the other way.
I only forgot to put it in 1 time. I didn't realize it till about 15 minutes after launch, got out to the main channel and she just wouldn't get up on plane.
It appeared to be a lack of power, & I thought maybe it was the fuel line shutoff valve not open all of the way.
It became very apparent what was wrong as soon as I lifted the engine hatch to check things out, & the water was slinging every where off of the engine belts & pulleys.
My brother-in-law Tony, will never let me forget.
Tony drove her back to the boat hoist, while I was down in the bilge with my fingers in the hole. I knew that the plug was laying right there close, but I just couldn't locate (feel) it in the 14" - 18" of water, to save my sole.
Now I've got a new spot to place it whenever I pull it,, Right ON TOP of the carburetor flame arrester.

With it placed there, it will never happened again.

Fred 156-M"

"Hey, Fred, I got one of those

"Hey, Fred, I got one of those long handled ones out in the shed, but I never knew what it was for before now! Thanks.

Jeff

PS: Got it with a used prop I bought a few years ago. Guy used to have a boat store and, as I was about to leave, he asked if I "Wanted a few things he was throwing out?" Are you kidding! I'm still using up some of the hundreds of $$ worth of marine stuff he gave me. Best deal I ever made!"

"Re: "The Club".... un

"Re: "The Club".... unfortunatly Freshwater Fred's story is almost EXACTLY what happened to me... and yes, I heard about it from my fishing buddy for YEARS."

Back