Logo

M440 temps

bushwood

Contributing Member
"Paranoia? M440 FWC. Heads red

"Paranoia? M440 FWC. Heads redone last year, new risers and elbows. Heat ex boiled out, manifold looked good, new thermostat.

I bought a new IR thermo gun and shot my Port engine for fun. Are the following temps within reason?

From front of engine to rear (to include middle of log) temps.
Outboard log; 202, 196, 185
Inboard log; 195, 190, 185
Expansion tank at cap; 195
Thermostat housing; 160
Elbows on top of risers; 120
Hoses; 140

This is at dock idle. If it's hot, would the raw water flow increase underway, thus bringing temp down a few? Impeller was new 2 yrs ago. Not many hours on it, except sitting while engines were put back together last year.

Thanks"

"Seems reasonable to me. The

"Seems reasonable to me. The motor side runs hotter due to the t-stat setting, while the raw water side is about right as well. Much more water flows through as the revs come up, but I'd keep an eye on it, just to be sure.

Smart move buying the temp gun. Have you measured the cat or the dog with it yet?

Jeff"

"No, but they could be next. N

"No, but they could be next. Now that I have one, can't imagine how I got along without one. Now I know the temp of my garage floor. I can finally sleep at night!

Thanks Jeff!"

"My wife loves to play with ou

"My wife loves to play with our temp gun, taking the temps of all kinds of things. Fine tool AND play thing!

Jeff"

I have recorded all my temps a

I have recorded all my temps at a 3000 rpm cruise and keep them in a log to compare with the next set of readings I take. I don't remember what the numbers are without looking at the log. Check the shaft log temps and alternater bearings also.

Dan

"Remember: Even if you truly

"Remember: Even if you truly are paranoid, there can be someone following you.

Jeff"

Back