Logo

Convert Automotive EFI to marine

jklein

"I have an old bayliner with a

"I have an old bayliner with a carburated 350 chevy engine. I am tired of the constant tuning needed to keep this performing well at idle speeds. Especially when docking! I have in my posession a used, but in very good working order, an automotive mass air flow EFI for a 350. Can this be a optional conversion? If so how do I connect the O2 sensor? The exhaust is water cooled...will the sensors work with water saturation?....I think not. What are my options. If this is not an option, please recommend a good carb replacement
Thanks"

"O2 sensor will not work in no

"O2 sensor will not work in normal marine exhaust, has to be about 600 degrees to work. 1409 Edelbrock marine carb is square bore. A good Quadrajet will work just fine with clean fuel."

"In addition to this [b]NOT[/b

"In addition to this NOT meeting the USCG criteria for spark supression (ignition protection), the advance curve and limit will be incorrect for your marine use.
I'd NOT recommend this.
You do not mention which Engine/Drive, but I would recommend a Mallory magnetic breakerless unit.... not the photo eye, but the YLM model.

If OMC, you then need the diode modification for the ESA unit."

"Jeff--

one option is to us

"Jeff--

one option is to use your GM hardware with a programmable ECM, as this lets you program for the running conditions applicable and get rid of the closed-loop (ie, no oxygen sensor needed).....most are hideously expensive but look up Megasquirt...open software architechture, user community supported, can even build em from scratch if you're that crazy.

i personally hate carbs, but they actually work pretty well in 3/4 to full throttle, relatively constant rpm and load conditions like you see in boat duty. it's the transitions and idle-to-part throttle area where you see the big advantages of EFI."

"My apologies for my earlier c

"My apologies for my earlier comment. Apparently this is EFI that you are asking about, not ignition! Sorry.

Agree with Bruce on the low speed/idle circuit issues between EFI and Carburetioin. That is mostly where the gain is with EFI.

I'd still not recommend trying to adapt an automotive unit for marine use. "

Back