Logo

1985 PCM 351 Corect Craft Rebuild

luis

My 85 Nautique has had some B

My 85 Nautique has had some Bad leaks on the exhaust risers that have pretty much rusted one of the heads to nothing. Currently its still running strong. Except for the rusted head bolts and bad exhaust. I am thinking of either pulling the motor and rebuilding or just getting a set of heads and bolting them on. I will be replacing the whole exhaust too. I wanted to know what does it take besides Brass Freeze plugs to get automotive 351 heads to work? And What about the engine? Will a regular rebuild work? Or do I need some kind of special gaskets? Also where is the best place to get parts for this engine at? Thanks for the help.

"Why not pull the heads, take

"Why not pull the heads, take a look at your cylinder bores and let them decide if the engine needs a rebuild? It sounds like you'll need new or rebuilt heads anyway. Brass plugs are a good idea either way - be sure to flush out the water jackets when the plugs are out. If the engine was run in salt water without freshwater cooling, you will probably need a new long block. If not, you may have enough metal left to justify a rebuild - let your machinist check cylinder wall thickness before boring.

Marine gaskets are always recommended, especially for salt water use. I've had success with FelPro Blue's in fresh water, however.

"

Back