Logo

1996 Evinrude 25

1-Mar

"Hi there!
Took the family fo

"Hi there!
Took the family for a run on eastern weekend on the river. The old lady started a big rough and plenty smoky for "just serviced", however settled down after warm up. Went for a spin and has plenty of power for some 10 minutes when it starts shaking like a cement mixer and smoking galore. I guess it is on one cylinder. trottle down and idles ok, continue for a few minutes at low speed no problem. As soon as give it more, start failing. Does this for a while then comes good again. Another good run and it cuts out this time copletely dead...yet keeps idel as soon as I let go the trottle. Go low speed for a while and itcomes good again for some 10 minutes and then stops again.
Once back I checked for bad fuel, dirt in the fule pump and nothing all is clear and good. Spark plugs are new. Could it be electric fault?
Any help appreciated since this is the first time I used it after taking it for service."

"Sounds like Your SLOW due to

"Sounds like Your SLOW due to overheat is kicking in. Might be time for impeller and thermostat job to start with.
To do a quick check:
Disconnect the termo switch at the cylinder head and test, but just test and do NOT keep on running!!!!"

""The old lady started a b

""The old lady started a big rough and plenty smoky for "just serviced", however settled down after warm up."

Thought for a minute you were talking about your wife......"

"Today I run the enigne in a t

"Today I run the enigne in a tank, cover off, tested head heat with wax stick and yes it is heating up rather quickly. Water comes out but has no pressure. I can block it off easy with small pressure of one finger.
Noticed plenty of smoke coming out of auxiliary exaust.
Took gear box off and found impeller the wrong way around, and the little conduit for the exaust link missing. Ordered the parts, may take a couple of days. Can that missing link reduce performance of water pump?
Would I still need to take the head off and check thermostat and water conduit corrosion/blockage?

On a separate issue, I noticed that one of the bolts holding the steering handle to the frame is broken off. I'll hve to drill that out. Any suggestions?"

"With no key holding the impel

"With no key holding the impeller it will hardly turn at all. Question is just if friction towards drive shaft is bigger than blade friction in housing!!!
Start with the impeller.
You do not need to take the head off to change thermostat, only the 'cover' on top of the head."

Het Mort...
How did you deter

Het Mort...
How did you determine that the impeller key was missing?
I see nothing in his post that would indicate that the key was gone.
Just wondering how you figured that out....

Also don't know what he means by "the little conduit for the exaust link". Do you know what that is?

"Dough,
I might have been a b

"Dough,
I might have been a bit quick there. On the other hand I have difficulty in understanding how the wings may have all(?) been the wrong way with the key still there.
Conduit for exhaust link? no idea!"

Yes...but he says something ab

Yes...but he says something about it being back from "just serviced" in his first post.
Did the service guys mess up the impeller job?
Only he can answer.

"Ha ha guys, no need for guess

"Ha ha guys, no need for guesses.
The story goes like this: Motor was stored for a long time. Tried out one time no water comes out. Took to a dodgy place to change the impeller. Never used since. one year later took to a guy who seemed more conscious to change oil in gearbox, spark plugs clean carby and tune up. He found that there was a ring missing under the timing plate (the golden round plate that turns as you trottle up).
After this is that the events I relate took place.
The thingy we found now to be missing is part of the exhaust, above the pump. Without it, the exahust gases were working against the water flow.
The impeller had only one blade the wrong way.

The question now is as follows. If this eliminates the overheating problem should I still change the thermostat or, as the mechanic suggest, "drill the thermostat out" ?
The good thing about pulling the head off is that you can dig out any accumulated dirt from the water conduits, and I can also change the head bolts that are cheap and are badly rusted.

Do you have any sugestions to get that broken bolt out of the handle support?

Sorry for the lack of better names for parts I refer to. I know about diesel engines a bit about chainsaw, nothing about outboards.
Hooroo
Marc"

"Change Your impeller and pump

"Change Your impeller and pump-housing if needed. Install the missing tube with o-rings.
Either replace the thermostat or do nothing and hope it works, but be sure it works! No drilling out!!!
Broken bolts on the other hand You may let Your mechanic drill out!!"

Back