Logo

Honda 115 will not start when hot

pauly_w

I have a 2002 115 Honda and it

I have a 2002 115 Honda and it will turn over fast and start right up from cold. It runs and idles great with no alarms but after running for a while if i shut it off it will not restart. It will turn about 1 stroke and then starter will not turn anymore. The battery is brand new and have over 12 volts sitting and with motor running its at 14.4ish. Once the motor cools down it will fire right up again. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Pauly

Heat on poor connections will

Heat on poor connections will cause those symptoms. Remove and clean the cables on the starter and at the batteries.

I tried shining the connection

I tried shining the connections spotless but still will not start hot. I also tried a brand new ground cable on as well with no luck. I did notice the positive cable seemed a little warm but could that be from me trying to restart the motor a couple of times? I did not repeatedly try to start more than a couple of times no need to burn anything up. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks Pauly

"Heat at a connection point is

"Heat at a connection point is indicative of ether a bad connection or high current flow. If only one cable is warm, that would be a bad connection, since the current is equal on both cables.
Question, the positive cable is warm at what connection point?
Nick"

The entire cable is getting wa

The entire cable is getting warm. I got a new cable to replace it with but there is a bunch of wires crimped into the terminal that connects to the starter. I really dont want to cut these wires and put ring terminals on them. im also not to sure i would have enough wire to do that with. Thanks Pauly

"I assume that engine also has

"I assume that engine also has a 30 Amp fuse for the starter/solenoid. Check connections there, make sure they are very clean, and maybe even replace the fuse. But, if that doesn't fix the problem, then it sounds like you need to address the obvious - either bad solenoid or bad starter. Remove and test or have tested."

Newest addition to the problem

Newest addition to the problem after shining every connection i tested and would not start hot still. After cooling i started the motor and took it for a ride and after about 15 minutes the alarm started going. I instantly put the motor to neutral and it stalled out. At that point the motor would only crank about 1 stroke. The motor did feel pretty hot to the touch more so than it should be so after cooling down for 20 minutes it started up and got me home. The waterpump was just done a few weeks ago and is pumping plenty of water. Im going to try to get and replace the thermostat today and see if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks Pauly

"Sounds like a t-stat problem

"Sounds like a t-stat problem to me. But just for grins, make sure your water intakes are clear. Mine have clogged up in the past due to light grounding on muddy shoals. If the t-stat checks out, then there is a possibility that debris got in the cooling passages when the water pump was changed out."

Thanks for the reply i am very

Thanks for the reply i am very meticulos when im working on things but i suppose it is always the possibility that debris got into water passages. Will check out this afternoon and hope for the best before i sell it and buy a new motor. Thanks

"Well i replaced the thermosta

"Well i replaced the thermostat and tried running the motor again. I did ten minute intervals at the dock at idle. In neutral it ran and restarted the first 3 times (1/2 hour). So i then tried it in gear at idle for ten minutes, then shut off and would not turn over. I will take the lower unit and exhaust cover off (where i replaced zincs) and check for any possible debris in water passages and hope i find something. Will repost if i find anything Thanks"

Question for JUST-IN-TIME you

Question for JUST-IN-TIME you said they had bad relays are you refering to the main relay at the front of the motor directly below the throttle body? if so i will order one and try that as well. Thanks for any help

"This will be my last post for

"This will be my last post for a while seeming i have found a much bigger problem with this motor. Either it is the one of the cracked block recalls which would suck because i do not have an original purchase receit being im the third owner, or the bottom seal is leaking badly. The whole bottom flywheel cavity is full of oil and from what i gather it is about an 80% tear down of the motor to fix. I guess if anyone knows if this is a recall and there is a way i can get it fixed through a dealer i would much appreciate but i have a feeling im on my own. Cerial#BZBG1000111 Thanks all Pauly"

"Paul,
Sorry about all the tr

"Paul,
Sorry about all the trouble your having. What made you look into the flywheel cavity/
Nick"

I was getting 37 amps of draw

I was getting 37 amps of draw on the hot start and only 15 amps when cold starting. So i figured i would take the starter out and have it rebuilt. Well to my surprise the flywheel cavity was full of oil. Im not sure if i should fix the seal and sell it or just take it to a dealer as a trade on a new motor. But hey at least i got to use it for a whole hour after i bought it. BOAT=$$$$$ Thanks all Pauly

"Going back and reading all of

"Going back and reading all of the story again, I would bet that the motor is bound up. Possibly a cracked block so that the alignment of the crank is off. Replacing the lower seal probably wont hold for that reason. There has got to be a way to get the attention of a Honda rep and get some help with correcting this problem. I know that there is a service bulletin on this problem!
Good luck, and let us know if you get any help from Honda!
Nick"

"I just got a price for a new

"I just got a price for a new 115 Yamaha and the dealer said they would give me $2,000 for the honda the way it is. I think im just gonna have to cut my losses with it and go new. After all the new parts i have put into it and $ spent it seems like its only gonna be one problem after another. I would rather have a loan and a reliable motor than frustration fixing a broken motor sitting at home all the time. Thanks all for the advice Pauly"

I sure hope so. the loan is pr

I sure hope so. the loan is processing right now and hopefully in a couple of weeks ill be back on the water. Thanks again Pauly

Back