Logo

Yamaha 99 Stops Running

sailjumanji

"One of my 9.9 Yamaha, high th

"One of my 9.9 Yamaha, high thrust, 4-stroke motors, has an intermittent issue with stopping. This weekend, ran fine for about two hours, and then kicked a couple of times and died. Pumped up the bulb, and started immediately. Ran for 20 minutes longer, then died. Started it later on, and it ran fine. but this has happened many times before - usually after a couple of hours of motoring. Cooling system is working fine, and the area below the cowling is only warm, not hot.

Put in a carb rebuild kit thinking maybe it was a float needle sticking. No evidence of any problem with the one I removed though. Ran fine coming home - about 3 hours of motoring. If the problem persists, what's next? Fuel pump? Is there a kit to rebuild, and how difficult is this. Any other thoughts on what the problem might be?"

"If pumping the bulb helps tha

"If pumping the bulb helps thats a sure sign the fuel pump is on it's way out.

Yes, there is a kit and if you can do a carb kit, the fuel pump kit is childs play in comparison - just a diaphram and a spring or two...

Your Yami dealer can hook you up..."

If this is the older 9.9 with

If this is the older 9.9 with power tilt (15hp block) it is the fuel pump vapour locking. They do this once the engine temp gest up and the fuel pump is heated as well. I made a water cooler for the pump which solved the problem.

Go to the Suzuki board and loo

Go to the Suzuki board and look for Engine dies on hot days posting...I have pics on there of the water cooler...I refreshed that post so it is near the top of the list

Back