Logo

OMC 12V24V TROLLING MOTOR WIRING

jcarpenter88

I have a OMC Foot control trol

I have a OMC Foot control trollong motor that i need help wiring to the battery. The # on the motor is BF4K. I have three wires coming out the foot control one is white one is black and one is red. i want to wire it for 12 volts only. I has a selector switch to go from 12v to 24v. I wired the white wire to ground on the battery and the black wire to the positive side of the battery and left the red wire discconected the motor runs but seemed like it does not run fast. Please help? Thanks James

"The drawing is not very clear

"The drawing is not very clear on the wiring for colors. I only have one Battery and want to run on 12 volts. I have a white wire,Red Wire and a black wire.When i hook the white wire to the ground on the battery and the black wire to the poistive the motor runs and i can hear the speeds change but it seems to be running to slow. If it is hooked to 24 volts will it run faster or just longer on two batterys?"

"are you sure its a 12/24 or a

"are you sure its a 12/24 or a 24/36?

the only thing i could find is this......with the wire colors you have listed http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283036&highlight=three+wire+trolling+m otor+wiring

the only omc trollers i have seen with 3 wire plug have a red-12v...orange-24v...and black-ground

this sounds like its over my head...have you tried contacting the company to get a color code?....im stumped

i would hate for you to burn something up on advice i gave you....those nwe 24v trollers start at around $400-450"

"that model # shows its a &#39

"that model # shows its a '91 bow mount foot control 24v

i also found this jsut now http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com/ just go to bottom of page and click wiring diagrams

i do believe the red is 12v and the white is 24v..........like i said never seen one with a white wire

i have googled and looked at numerous links but havent had any real success...your model # shows up on shopevinrude.com under electric in the parts section. you may be able to contact them and get a wiring color code......sorry not much help...most of the stuff i have is old..except for my lil minnkota, but its a 12v -- 2 wires ..doesnt do well on my bassboat though i want a 24v...but i have to sell one of my boats before the wife will let me splurge

i would go 24v if i were you...they draw less amperage meaning more fishing time and have more thrust...the only drawback is more weight and a lil less room."

Do you get more thrust if you

Do you get more thrust if you go 24 volts? Do you get the same thrust if you go 12 volts? I hooked it up both ways and could not tell a differance in the speed of the motor. Should there be a differance?

the higher the voltage the low

the higher the voltage the lower the current draw for the same power output. the higher current draw will produce a larger voltage drop over the same run of cable at the lower voltage. same reason the xross country power lines are running kilovolts and not 110 volts.

Marine Wire Color Code for Direct Current Electrical Systems under 50 volts - ABYC
uses the following convention:
Red: DC Positive conductor
Black or Yellow: DC Negative conductor
Green or Green w/ Yel stripe: DC Grounding Conductor

Back