1986 evinrude 120 hp

scubadoo

Iam thinking of buying a 1986

Iam thinking of buying a 1986 evinrude 120hp for $1000.00
is that a good price?
pros and cons
any input is helpful

"I have the sister motor (

"I have the sister motor (same powerhead, lower unit etc etc) to that exact model - a 1986, 140 which I just picked up, used, last year (or the year before - can't quite remember now - must be getting old)

The 85/86/87 120/140 models are referred to as OMC's 1.8 litre "small bore" 90 degree loopers.

I am very pleased with it, find it easy to work on, all parts are still available for it etc.

It is a bit of a "gas hog" if you open her right up, but all in all an outstanding motor.

The price - if running decently and compression is good - 1000 bucks sounds like a good deal.."

"About 100 is decent on these

"About 100 is decent on these (give or take a bit) - as long as all 4 of the cylinders are within about 10 psi of each other I would be happy.

I would also ask if the VRO (oil pump) is still hooked up.

I really like the VRO system and "trust it" - but opinions on the system vary greatly.

I suggest to ask because if it is gone you will have to run mixed gas - you don't want to toast an engine by running straight gas, assuming that the oil injection works when it's not even there..."

Back