Logo

Water Leak

smitair17

Contributing Member
"I posted a question on the Lo

"I posted a question on the Lower Mount yesterday. I got a better look today and have taken a pic to see if it helps explain. I have great water pressure to the guage, and lots pouring out of the tell tale. However, by the lower mount, there is cold water coming out from behind it, not sure exactly where it's coming from. Hot water comes out where the lower unit meets the midsection, is this common?
251830.jpg
L

"Where you note the hot water

"Where you note the hot water coming out I would suspect it is simply because the lower unit and the exhaust housing (leg) are not perfectly mated.

There is no gasket that goes between these two. Some guys do run a bead of sealer between them, but that's not really required. However, if there was "gunk" on one or both of the surfaces - the surfaces were irregular or the lower unit was not sufficiently tightend onto the leg, there will be a small gap.

That will allow the water that cooled the powerhead and the exhaust to exit somewhere (the gap) other than through the prop hub.

During normal operation there is quite a bit of water in the exhaust housing. It is designed that way to act as a muffler to help keep the noise down and water will always take any way it can to get "out"..."

"Would anyone recommend taking

"Would anyone recommend taking the lower unit off and making sure the seals are set? It is cranked up there good. It bugs me that the cold water is coming out, that would have to mean that the pump gromet seal is leaking right? confusing, but since there is good pressure, and the tell tale is strong, it seems like it is all ok. COLD WATER ARRGHHHH. Bugs me!"

do you get water out of the re

do you get water out of the relief holes?..........a few inches down the leg there should be 2 holes.....water will come out here at wot and trickle out at idle when your thermostats open ... it may take a few min depending on air and water temp for the therms to open...so water shouldnt trickle when eng is cold..if so your therms are stuck open

"Cold water coming out around

"Cold water coming out around the lower bracket could mean a bad seal on the waterpump, a bad water tube guide or even a hole in the water tube - for the little bit of hassle pulling the lower, it's worth a look..."

"I put new tstats in a week ag

"I put new tstats in a week ago, where are the relief holes? I don't know what part you are talking about when you say the leg, is it on the picture?"

"Graham, that's what I was

"Graham, that's what I was thinking, do you think its a big deal, even if the guage shows good pressure, and the tell tale is showing lots of water?"

"no not in the pic......

th

"no not in the pic......

they should be at the top of the leg,exhaust housing,mid section or whatever you want to call it......just a lil below the lower cowling."

the reason i was asking is bec

the reason i was asking is because i was wondering how your circulation is....and if the water is going through the thermos

"If it's cooling fine, I r

"If it's cooling fine, I really wouldn't worry about it too much - after all, everywhere that is "leaking" is below the waterline during normal operation..."

You a adaptor plate between th

You a adaptor plate between the trunk and powerhead there are passage ways that allow cold water to spray the inside of the trunk housing to keep it cool.

The motor has a thermostat and a bypass valve...when running at low speed the engine temp is controlled by the thermo and when it opens up it discharge through the horizontal slots above the cav plate.

When the revs go up the water pump pressure increases and blows the bypass valve off its seat and this water exits just under the lower cowl at the rear so everything you describe is normal operation.

"Thanks Everyone.......I spoke

"Thanks Everyone.......I spoke with my motor servicer yesterday and he said it was all normal, as Jamie has said. Feel better now!"

Back