Logo

Spitting fuel from jets next to carb bore after rebuild

canam1

I recently just rebuilt my 199

I recently just rebuilt my 1994 johnson 140. While I had it apart I rebuilt the carbs and now there is fuel spitting out of the small jets on the front of the carb. Did I do something wrong like set the floats too high. I set them perfectly flush with the carb body. Is also leaking a few drops off the bottom of the rod that the butterflies turn on. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this an if so how to fix the problem.

can you post a picture to bett

can you post a picture to better see this??? did you flip the bowl up side down to see if the float is in fact level???

This is quite 'normal'

This is quite 'normal' if You run without the air-box/silencer.
Put it all together and give a test run.
It is caused by 'back-pressure' leaking past the reed valves and blowing through the low and intermediate circuits in the valve housing and carbs.

"yes, I turned the carbs upsid

"yes, I turned the carbs upside down and took a straight edge and made sure that the floats were completely flush with the barb body. the reason I was a little worried is that the book says to put them "level" and them show you using a straigh edge. My problem with this is that two things can be "level" with each other and still not be "flush". so I was a little worried, but I believe that you cleared it up for me. The jair box was off whrn I noticed it so I hope that it will be fine with it on. Any thought on the drips that I see coming off the bottom of the post the butterflies are on?"

Back