Logo

1952 Evinrude 3HP Lightwin

rjtreadwell

"I have completely rebuilt thi

"I have completely rebuilt this motor, except for new pistons and and rods. Had some major problems getting it started. Once I got to start I couldn't get it to run. Come to find out it had a bent connecting rod (or at least I think it does)Trying to get it to run has damaged the one piston, on the rod believe to be bent, and scored the other. My question is, is it worth it to spend another $350 +/- for pistons and rods, to complete the restoration?"

"Richard, only you can answer

"Richard, only you can answer that.

If you are looking for a "classic" motor for a particular project, then absolutely - 350 bucks isn't that much compared to the cost of a new 3 horse (a new 4 stroke 3.5 sells for about 900 bucks).

But if you are just looking for a little kicker/trolling motor, there are hundreds on the used market - particularly the little air-cooled models that can be picked up for under 200 bucks.

I believe I only paid about 350 for my little 2.5 horse twin Evinrude which is a 1987 model, with a modern ignition etc...."

Graham
You're right I rea

Graham
You're right I really am the only one that can answer that question. The thing is I've already got about $200 in parts into it. Know any one looking for some brand new parts for that motor?
And you're also right I can pick up a used one for less than what I have in it already!

"Personally I really like rest

"Personally I really like restoring motors IF I have purpose for them. I would rather spend 500 or 1000 bucks on one that I have (and know the history on) than roll the dice on "another" used motor.

And in the case of the one you have, it would look perfect as a kicker on the back of a 1950/60 something, 14' mahogany runabout - would finish it off quite nicely.

But, if it's simply going to be hangin' on the back of a 12' aluminum, then you don't need that "affect" and it's probably not worth the investment of either time or parts...

It's really a personal thing."

As a matter of fact it was jus

As a matter of fact it was just something I was playing around with chase away cabin fever. I don't even own a boat.

"Graham
As a follow up; by ch

"Graham
As a follow up; by chance I stopped by an evinrude dealer that has been in business since 1939. Took a chance to see if he might have a used piston and rod laying around, already knew he didn't have new. He didn't have a used one, but what he did have was a power head from a 1956. Exact match to the 1952. Got it for $75. I'll just add all new parts I bought for the 1952, and I'm back in business. Far cry from the $350 and or trashing waht I already had invested!"

Back