Logo

Broken bolt

17arrowglassstinger

Contributing Member
i have a 74 johnson 70 h.p and

i have a 74 johnson 70 h.p and the bolt that holds the piece to keep the motor up broke and the bolt is still in the hole and iwas wondering how to go about drilling the bolt out or if there is a better way to get the bolt out and its not a tiller you can either put up or down any help would be great thanks

"You can drill it out, but hav

"You can drill it out, but have to be careful. The bolt is harder than the surrounding aluminum and it's easy to wander a bit with the drill - so normally I would strip the outboard down quite a bit and try to do the work with my drill press.

I normally drill 1 drill size smaller than the bolt and then clean the rest up with a tap..."

thanks but it turns out that t

thanks but it turns out that the bolt bolt i threaded the whole way along the bolt and it had two nuts on one end and i guess more on the other side but i got it out but cant believe it would break like that i thought it was stronger than that

"Bolts, threaded rods, screws

"Bolts, threaded rods, screws etc on an outboard often become quite "brittle".

Just from being torqued stresses them, then add the weather elements or salt conditions etc.

Most times they are fine until you "touch" them - try to remove or tighten a little more and "snap"."

Back