Logo

Evinrude ETEC vs Suzuki 4 stroke

gone_postal

Regular Contributor
"Well, I just had my motor reb

"Well, I just had my motor rebuilt (98 Johnson 90hp) and while I think it will be reliable for several more years to come, I still really, really want a new motor (here I am 2 weeks after the rebuild and the fuel pump craps out - OUCH. I can just see getting nickeled and dimed to death w/ electrical and "small things" over the years). I also absolutely hate the way mine sounds, smokes, etc. This also seems to be a great time to repower b/c the dealerships are all slashing prices and competition is tough. I have it narrowed down to a Suzuki 115hp 4 stroke or an Evinrude 115 E-TEC.

The pros of the Suzuki are 6yr warranty if bought by the end of April, 4 stroke, timing chain, forged crank. They seem VERY well built and my friend has twin 300's on his boat and they're very powerful and sound great. He's had no issues.

The Evinrude will bolt right up to my boat though. I just need a new tach and oil tank. I like that it doesn't need oil changes every 6 months, but that's kinda offset by buying oil to burn. I know they're powerful (2 stroke), but never been around one in person to hear how quiet. It can only be quieter than mine though - that's for sure. It has a 5yr warranty, but has to be purchased by 4/15. Also minimal maintenance - 3yrs or 300hrs. Awesome!!

The main thing that scares me is the oil injection system. I hated the VRO on my Johnson and ripped it off and premix now. What are the chances the E-TEC is going to do the same down the road?

The difference in money is $500 installed in favor of the E-TEC. I could probably shave a few hundred more off if I install myself (simple swap since most stuff gets reused), but I still have to take it to the dealer for programming. The $500 is assuming my current prop will work on the new motor though. It will definitely fit, but they're not sure if it's the right size & pitch. If I need a new SS prop, I was quoted $486, so there went that advantage. (The Suzuki is new controls, gauges, SS prop, install, etc).

Opinions???"

"The e-tec is a good engine bu

"The e-tec is a good engine but it is just a glorified two stroke in my eyes.
2_cents.gif
There are many pros and cons to both. All outboard marine engines need regular inspections and service to keep them running well. 3 years 300 hours no service????? Could you run your 98 90 hp for 300 hrs with no service?

Four Stroke Hands down Andrew if weight is not a issue. If your concerned about the extra weight stay with the two stroke. If you have time look at both engines with the cowlings off and compare the quality of what you see.

I have been running a 2004 Suzuki DF225TXK4 on a 25ft work boat that has 1973hrs and still going strong. The best money I have ever spent and I'm pretty cheap I meant frugal. I'm Here to tell you that the Suzuki Four Stroke is a winner!
thumbs_up.gif

My advice to you is buy the engine that will work best in your application regardless of who makes it. A good serviceing dealer is a must too. Remember the product is only as good as the dealers that support it.

Was that a new fuel pump that went out on that rebuild? Or did the rebuilder leave the old one on.

Good luck
talker.gif
"

"I appreciate the advice.

"I appreciate the advice.

No, I wouldn't expect my motor to go 300hrs w/out service, but I wouldn't expect to drive a Model T cross-country either - gotta love technological advancements!!

Realistically for the money, the Suzuki is probably a better deal. For $500 more I'm getting new controls, cables, ss prop & an extra year warranty. Total out the door is $9855 - not bad for a motor that lists at $11,100 imho.

BTW - old fuel pump. We didn't suspect it was bad - motor needed rebuild due to blown head gasket that was allowing water in and washing out the cylinder - not a lean condition. Since one had to be done, I opted for all 4. We also did bearings, carbs, etc, so it is basically a brand new powerhead on an 11yr old lower unit (kinda scares me - all electrical is original too). The fuel pump is $480 by the way, so even if he offered it the first go around I probably would've passed - you know, the old, "if it ain't broke..."

I luckily have a box of parts from another identical engine the PO gave me and a fuel pump was in there. That's what's going in now as a patch. If I decide to go new, it'll be within 2 weeks and this motor will be sold. If I keep this motor, then a new pump will go in."

Back