Logo

1985 90 hp Johnson

mdellwva

"Finally got motor to run, i h

"Finally got motor to run, i have a water leak around a cyl head cover bolt.what can i seal that with.also i mixed my gas, left vro pump hooked up to watch it, when i turn ing. switch on the horn comes on & stayed on the whole time i ran motor (3-4) min. wonder why. it would come on & in a few sec it would stop, but now it stays on. any help will be greatly appericated. Thanks. Mike"

"Mike,

The horn can be trig

"Mike,

The horn can be triggered by a heat sensor in the head, the VRO pump, the float in the oil tank, a short to ground in any of the wires from the horn to a sensor, or a faulty test circuit in the horn. I think that some of the early VRO pumps did not connect to the warning circuit.

Try disconnecting the sensors one at a time. This will tell you if any of them are causing the alarm. If this does not help you might as well check the horn. It probalbly has one hot lead and two ground leads. One of these goes to the sensors and one directly to ground (this lead is for the test circuit). If the test circuit in the horn is bad it might not turn off after a brief time. Supply twelve volts to the hot lead on the horn and alternately ground each of the other leads. One should produce a continuous beep, the other should cause a short test beep.

If you do end up testing the horn, while you have it disconnected, you can test the wire which leads to the sensors for a short to ground. Make sure it is not grounding out in the control box."

"Thank you Tony for the info.

"Thank you Tony for the info. i will see what i can do.what can i seal the water leak around the cly head cover bolt with?? again thank you, Mike."

"If you are trying to seal the

"If you are trying to seal the leak without taking the water cover off the best thing to use is Marine Tex or one of the other epoxy based compounds. The easiest to use comes in a tube. You cut off what you need, and knead it for a few minutes. It is easy to apply and sets quickly. Most of the marine supply companies sell this. Usually it is referred to as epoxy sticks."

"Thank you Tony, One more dumb

"Thank you Tony, One more dumb question. the epoxy, are you putting it just on the bolt head, or are you pulling the bolt out & putting on the bolt?? Hey man Thanks for all the good info. Mike."

Back